Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Supra pubic cathater 101

James,
    I think the worst that could happen if the catheter got pulled out of the stoma is that the stoma may need a stitch or two. And you may have a good deal of autonomia.

All the best,
    GJ

I've used a 24fr with a 5 cc bulb for 34 years. It was intimidating at first.

Mine used to be changed once a month & irrigated morning & night.

Now it's changed every two weeks & irrigated only after changed.

My attendant changes mine. If she can't one of my two sisters will do it.

I'm not trying to scare you but things do happen when least expected.
    Always keep an extra catheter or three on hand in case something happens. Make sure you have enough supplies to be able to change your catheter.
    I probably have 5 or 6 in my cabinet right now.

I think mine has been pulled out 2 maybe 3 times over 34 years. And it was my fault.

Having said all that, I'm glad that I have a supra pubic.

Has anyone used catheter plugs, something like a cork that can go in the end? And where can I get those? And about the catheter holders that are like a tape do they go on your leg?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Has anyone used catheter plugs, something like a cork that can go in the end? And where can I get those? And about the catheter holders that are like a tape do they go on your leg?
    Catheter Plugs are plastic so they can be cleaned and reused. The catheter plug shown here is a Bard product and you can buy them where ever you buy your catheter supplies or on line medical supply stores. Depending on the source, they are about $1.00 - $2.00 US. There are other plastic plugs my various manufacturers.
    Name:  catheter plug.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  13.3 KB

Adhesive catheter holders like the Statlock are applied to the front of the upper thighs.

All the best, GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 08-03-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Thank You for the info, got to get some of those. And yeah it's probably good idea to always be prepared.

My surgery was last Thursday so getting to the two week mark, and there has been a little blood on my bandages every now and then, any idea why? Is that normal?

Also anyone else use statlock foley stabilizers? Used two so far, and both times and the plastic clamp comes open and it won't stay closed anyone else have this problem?

you may have to try several options to see what works best. that's a shame about the plastic clamp unless the tubing is two wide in diameter? placing duoderm on your skin and then using tape as an anchor onto the duoderm is another option, all to protect the skin.

blood could be the result of minimal trauma of the tube moving around the stoma/port opening. best to just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't worsen.

pbr

No the ones I got are suitable for a 14 French, I may look into some other products. I was on the lokomat today and after I got off there was blood. This isn't a big concern right, like lead to infections or skin problems?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    No the ones I got are suitable for a 14 French, I may look into some other products. I was on the lokomat today and after I got off there was blood. This isn't a big concern right, like lead to infections or skin problems?
    Sorry not following you about 14 Fr. My urologist started me with a 16 Fr. and I've been on that same size catheter for 4 years. 16Fr. is usually minimal size for a suprapubic.

All the best,
    GJ

Yea I've heard that too, but sure enough mine is 14 fr, says right on it.