Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Supra pubic cathater 101

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    And silicone is better than latex then? It's annoying because a lot of places don't shit to Canada.
    Lots of medical supply stores can order them for you, I don't know what you have in your area, we have lots of independent ones, but one of the most known - if you can find a Shoppers Home Health Store even in Toronto or nearer, just call em' and they can order boxes of them and ship them to you. That way, you can get an official receipt and claim it on insurance or taxes (vs. ordering some random place online). And from experience they usually only have latex in stock, any else you have to order. Mine actually has a couple boxes in stock my name on it (so that I didn't have to buy the whole box in one shot and just pick up a few when I needed when I didn't have insurance). Give em a call and shop around!

While all of these suggestions are helpful, it is important to remember that each person is different. You and your physician should figure out the best routine for you. I would recommend that you start with just the catheter in place and drinking a lot of fluids. If you are still leaking after a few days or having a lot of AD, than you may want to consider an anti-cholinergic.
    Most people I know who have gone to a supra pubic wish they had done it sooner. Hopefully, you will be happy with your choice. Just remember to give it time and if one thing doesn't work, try something else.
    CKF

And silicone is better than latex then? It's annoying because a lot of places don't shit to Canada.
    Generally speaking, people are warned against using latex because of allergies and sensitivities. I think most of our SCI nurses would recommend avoiding latex. That said, latex is what my doctor placed and I've not had any problems to date. I like latex because it is soft or softer than other materials, especially in larger catheter sizes. Doctors use larger catheter sizes when sediment is a problem.

All the best,
    GJ

Do you guys put vetercyn though the supra pubic cath? What do you use to clamp tube? Are leg bags and night bags universal, like the ones I have now for my condom will they attach to the pubic catheter?
    Yes, you instill Vetericyn through the suprapubic catheter. I use a catheter plug in the funnel end of the catheter (available where you buy urinary supplies). Some people have used one of those black, springy binder clips to pinch the tubing closed.

The funnel of the catheter should work okay with the connectors on leg and night bags you have been using.

All the best,
    GJ

Good luck and keep us posted on how you do!
    CKF

Thanks everyone.

Surgery was a success, I don't really like it obviously. But it's really my only realistic option for now! It's kind of intimidating, and after the surgery was done my doctor left didn't even explain things, but apparently a nurse is coming to my house tomorrow to explain things a little bit. It very gross and I worry about pulling it. And my leg bag filling up too much. If it were relatively full and someone were to have my leg up for a hamstring stretch would the urine go through the tube back into my bladder?

Most if not all leg bags have a one way valve at the top to prevent backups. You can however fill your bag, then your bladder will fill then you will have a backup and possibly AD. If your drinking lot's of fluids you will need to empty your bag often. Is that something you can do yourself? If not you should figure out a way so you can push the fluids and stay healthy.
    ^^(A)^^

We use a hemostat clamping tool to clamp off and release the flow. If you buy a medical pair they will be big $$$ so I get mine in a sporting goods store they are used in fishing for tying lures and are much cheaper.
    ^^(A)^^

Last night I pissed all over myself, I think it came from the penis! We had to shower and wing a new bandage, cause nurse hasn't come yet. Sucked spouse to keep that on for two days.

Darty ever used, catheter plugs someone else mentioned those earlier? And I could use a electric leg bag opener but for now I can't get to my toilet.