Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Supra pubic cathater 101

No never used a plug just the hemostat locking pliers. With drinking tons of fluid you will have to figure out the bag draining thing. I don't remember having a nurse come out but it was 24 years ago and I do have CRS. Any way you can bend over and reach your ankles? You may be able to drain your own bag.

Hang in there it gets better and easier.
    ^^(A)^^

The bag isn't the issue, for some reason I seem to piss myself when I'm laying in bed on my back. Anyone else have this, I stayed dry all day in my chair so far but when I'm in bed I pissed all over myself. I'am taking vesicare and mytrbqui in the morning. The nurses are for dressing changes.

A big question though does anyone go to physiotherapy with this thing? Like when you're laying on your back, or being flipped over on your stomach are you able to do all that with a suprapubic, then there stretches where they have your legs straight in the air, and of course lokomat?

I had some leakage in the beginning too, I wouldn't worry about it yet. Yes, you can lay on your stomach, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    I had some leakage in the beginning too, I wouldn't worry about it yet. Yes, you can lay on your stomach, etc.
    Did it just stop eventually? Did laying on your stomach cause leakage at all?

The first week or so i had some leakage like you're experiencing. I don't usually lay on my stomach for long periods of time, but I don't see it being a problem unless you collapse the tube. I know what you mean about the whole experience in the beginning, but you'll adjust and like being able to drink as much as you want, and all the other benefits.

Your catheter is probably getting a bit clogged due to debris from your surgery and when you lie down your kidneys are releasing faster and the catheter's not draining at full capacity and can't keep up. I've had the exact same thing happen. I changed my catheter and no more problem. Try flushing the catheter when you lie down.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

My surgeon decided to go on a vacation, tried to call her today. So I can't get it changed till I see her in a month. Andshe didn't give the nurses an order to irrigate my catheter. But if I go up to a bigger size you suspect I'll remain dry even on my back?

SCI nurse if urine is bypassing the actual incision will that cause an infection on the skin or something, spent so? And what's the worst that could happen if it got pulled just throw the medical term (if there is one) at me so I know. Can This thing damage the penis badly?
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 08-02-2014 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    My surgeon decided to go on a vacation, tried to call her today. So I can't get it changed till I see her in a month. Andshe didn't give the nurses an order to irrigate my catheter. But if I go up to a bigger size you suspect I'll remain dry even on my back?

SCI nurse if urine is bypassing the actual incision will that cause an infection on the skin or something, spent so? And what's the worst that could happen if it got pulled just throw it up so I know. Can This thing damage the penis badly?
    Once a suprapubic catheter is placed it is common practice to change the catheter after one month. This is usually done at the urologist's office and at that time either you, a family member or an attendant can be instructed on how to change the suprapubic catheter from there on out. Suprapubic catheters don't usually need to be irrigated unless there is a lot of sediment that is clogging the catheter. I decided to start using Vetericyn about 3 weeks after my suprapubic catheter was placed because that is about the time I found out about Vetericyn/Microcyn on this forum.

Going up a catheter size at the first change is a call that your urologist makes based upon a couple of factors. My urologist placed a 16Fr catheter at the time of surgery and I am still using a 16Fr. I have read about others who have had their suprapubic catheters stepped up from 16Fr to possibly 22Fr or 24Fr. I personally wouldn't want that big of a catheter, but then I have not had any problems with having a 16Fr for 4 years.

James, I'm not sure I understand your question to the SCI nurse about "if it got pulled just throw it up..." About damaging the penis, the suprapubic catheter should not be in any proximity to the urethra. If the catheter has passed through the bladder and into the urethra, the catheter has been inserted too far.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Once a suprapubic catheter is placed it is common practice to change the catheter after one month. This is usually done at the urologist's office and at that time either you, a family member or an attendant can be instructed on how to change the suprapubic catheter from there on out. Suprapubic catheters don't usually need to be irrigated unless there is a lot of sediment that is clogging the catheter. I decided to start using Vetericyn about 3 weeks after my suprapubic catheter was placed because that is about the time I found out about Vetericyn/Microcyn on this forum.

Going up a catheter size at the first change is a call that your urologist makes based upon a couple of factors. My urologist placed a 16Fr catheter at the time of surgery and I am still using a 16Fr. I have read about others who have had their suprapubic catheters stepped up from 16Fr to possibly 22Fr or 24Fr. I personally wouldn't want that big of a catheter, but then I have not had any problems with having a 16Fr for 4 years.

James, I'm not sure I understand your question to the SCI nurse about "if it got pulled just throw it up..." About damaging the penis, the suprapubic catheter should not be in any proximity to the urethra. If the catheter has passed through the bladder and into the urethra, the catheter has been inserted too far.

All the best,
    GJ
    Well one time when I had an indwelling, they told me about these things that could happen if it was in to long or got pulled, with actual medical terms like urethral fissures or something like that there was four I don't know diagnosis, I looked up all of them and one of them was basically it makes a hole in your penis. So I got that thing out as quick as possible.

Basically I asked them if it got pulled if there is any medical terminology for what could happen, then I could research it and avoid it as much as possible!

Forgive my errors my dictation is not working well and my finger poker thing is crap

Don't panic give it some time you have tissue, blood and other stuff in your bladder from the surgery. I had leakage in the beginning and the first SP tube stayed in a month. I believe it had a stitch holding it in and my uro doc changed it the first time. Just keep it clean and push the water your body will adjust to it.
    ^^(A)^^