Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple question. Will there be a repair for SCI?

Simple question. Will there be a repair for SCI?

Plain and simple. I don't post much and I only come here look on occasions because I get depressed, my injury was in 96, at a world known rehab and they told me 3 to 5 years well. October will be 18, is there going to be a cure where it will help us who are chronic that long? I am c3 complete injury, I have been through hell and back, just want some type of life back tired of fighting depression while on vacation not being able to help and do things for myself. Or should I face reality and say this is what it is until am no longer on this earth. I know there are people who live in wheelchairs longer than me who come here and tell you to face the realities, big difference from being a paraplegic to a quadriplegic. Thank you for reading and listen to me let out my frustration. Just don't know what to believe anymore? Dr. Weiss believes it will happen in his lifetime? I hope he has longevity. Keep up the good work and keep on trying. Lots of us are counting on you. Dr.
    keiffer66

I just over two years post, and reading these kind of messages always get me upset I see the same desperation I had myself, (makes despise the sickening deplorable detestable blight that is spinal cord injury, societies only option for dealing with it today basically give him a poop chair, nurse and a ramp) but I have lost faith, not in the science more in life from living as a quadriplegic for two years. Being dependent, and having horrible things done to me. I was one of those rare physical guys who was conscious when they broke their neck and told the authorities to let me die there instead of saving my broken body, if I would've known what they would have to do for my bowels and bladder I would have told them to shoot me in the face immediately and I say that with no joke. But of course society made that choice for me and determined that I rather live as a quadriplegic follow their little rehab program and try to you rebuild a "new life" then die LMFAO!

Anyways bro that choice is up to you, just disregarding a cure coming isn't going to change your limitations isn't going to make your injury easier on you like most people say. You Are probably going to feel hopeless for a while. But there are a lot of resources and if you're willing to look past what they are and accept them for what they are, and utilize them you may be able to work into a decent life as a quadriplegic, you just have to accept you're not the same, you going to need help, you can't really help physically anymore, a lot of things are out of the question basically a real hard pill to swallow forever. I don't know you bro, so I'm not going to lie and guarantee you you that there are things out there that you can still do that you'll enjoy, there may very well not be, but there is a good chance there still is! Just depends who you are, and what you're into. BUT you're going to have to look for it, and probably look hard, things aren't simple anymore it's not just roll out of bed and hop on a bicycle, you've got to try and find things, figure out ways to do them if it's even possible, more than likely accept a lot of help. Basically you got to make the best out of a glass half-full that's what they have for us right now brother. I know it's fucked up.

As for the science, things are rolling and, more than ever before there's no denying that. There are a lot of naysayers but that is a fact. But we're still looking at 10 years minimum probably more, and that's if the economy stay strong, things and things don't go to shit, labs don't shut down etc. I'm Confident by 2020-2025 we will have a treatment that will give us a relatively good amount of quality a life back (basically control of our own bodily functions, and able to take care of ourselves). You just got to stick around bro. No one can give you an exact date, none of us can predict the future unfortunately.

In the future, for new injuries? Yes, no doubt. To us? Long term quads? To be honest I think that our bodies reached a point of no return and we wont have a "cure". We will see some improvements in quality of life here and there but thats all. I would be very surprised if science can bring a treatment to give us our hands/arms back in my lifetime (Im 33 now).
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

Don't discount the possibility of some sort of repair by electronics.

Thank you James, trust me I go out and do everything that I can have in this chair almost 18 years just came back from Myrtle Beach South Carolina. Just realize you're from Canada it was one of your Canadian truck drivers were put me in this wheelchair, so I was always hoping someone from that side of the border would find a repair.
    Yes I have to face the fact will be kicking the bucket this way. Considering I am 47 well thank you for the personal opinions
    keiffer66

If you want a simple answer?

NO

They were telling me 34 years ago that it was 5 years away!
    ^^(A)^^

I was told 10 to 15 years... that was 47 years ago!

Believe what you wish.

Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

I remember being told by the PTs at Vanderbilt back in 1992 how lucky I was to have been injured at that time. The cure was so close. "Believe what you wish," but face reality each day.

Then again, in the late 80's or early '90s I read an article in Scientific American that said "never." Since the discovery of stem cells, the articles have reversed direction. They are now predicting how a cure will happen.

Regardless, sitting around waiting on a cure will drive you nuts. Try to improve yourself both mentally and physically. Having the education and finances of an 18 year old when you are 40 won't make for a very happy life - cured or not.

I have accepted the fact, just this year, that I will never walk again.