Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stacked Washer/Dryer Accessible?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stacked Washer/Dryer Accessible?

Does anyone here use a one unit stacked washer and dryer like a G.E.
    Spacemaker?
    It looks like the dryer is a little high to reach conveniently.
    Rich

I have one and can reach from chair, have long arms though.

I used one in a long-term rental. It worked, but the dryer was inconvenient.

I'd use a combo washer/dryer on a pedestal (which can be DIY) if space is limited.

e.g., http://www.lg.com/us/washer-dryer-co...er-dryer-combo

I used one by using a dressing stick to load and unload the drier. It wasn't too bad if I recall. My next house will have one in the bed room if at all possible. I don't understand why people have a laundry room at the other end of the house when we take off our clothes in the bed room.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7 Quad View Post
    I used one by using a dressing stick to load and unload the drier. It wasn't too bad if I recall. My next house will have one in the bed room if at all possible. I don't understand why people have a laundry room at the other end of the house when we take off our clothes in the bed room.
    Laundry rooms like kitchens and bathrooms are built where the designer and builders can back plumbing up next to each other to save on costs and dryers need, normally, for single family homes venting to the outside too. Most people want the venting where it won't let heat or a/c escape.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Laundry rooms like kitchens and bathrooms are built where the designer and builders can back plumbing up next to each other to save on costs and dryers need, normally, for single family homes venting to the outside too. Most people want the venting where it won't let heat or a/c escape.
    It's a design issue, which yes, has an impact on cost for ancillary stuff like plumbing. I know a few families who have laundry adjacent to a master bedroom and it's super convenient.

Thats not a bad idea, I'll keep that in mind if I ever have the money to design a house lol. I lived in one place for a short while where they had a laundry closet directly outside the bathroom connected to the master bedroom. I wasn't in the master bedroom, but always thought that was a really good idea. Especially with getting undressed in the bathroom as well. I'll frequently change clothes in the bathroom even when I'm not taking a shower, because if I have to go in to pee I don't see the point in pulling my pants down only to pull them up, go back to the bedroom and take them off again.

I liked this duplex I lived in where they had a laundry chute so to speak in the bathroom. It was a small door below the closet with a hole that dropped down directly next to the washer and dryer hookup, so it was nice to just drop my clothes through it into a basket below. But it was hell then to get up and down the stairs to DO laundry and that was years ago. I've been looking for a new place to live for a while now but just don't have the money yet. But with it being so hard to find a place that meets all my needs, I keep looking anyway so that when the money comes in hopefully I might know of a place and move quickly. But of all the places I've looked at online for months now the accessible ones are few and far between. And I don't even mean truly accessible, but rather stuff like one level and a door that you could install a ramp at etc. I've given up on moving in with someone else, because again possibilities were few and far between, and everyone I talked to on places that WOULD work suddenly disappeared when learning I was in a wheelchair. I'm not interested in dealing with that shit anymore, so my plan is to find a house I can afford to rent alone long enough to rent out a room to share the costs. Or even better one I could afford alone, but I'd rather have a bigger place and rent out a room.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

The side-by-side front loaders on a pedestal like our Whirlpool Duet are the perfect height for me in my wheelchair and my AB wife. I had an aunt who had the stackables and found them to be very convenient but she could stand up enough to access the dryer conveniently. If I were building a house I would have a good sized room off the kitchen that would serve as a laundry room, pantry, and place for a freezer.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I just moved into a place that has a stackable washer and dryer.... and looking at the label it is a GE Spacemaker. I like it a lot (mostly because it's been years since I've had an apartment with laundry in the actual apartment), it doesn't take up much room in my 350 sf apartment.

Of course the washer is easy to load and unload, but it is kinda small (compared to the laundromat washers I've been using).

I can't exactly see into the bottom of the dryer, but I can reach to the back and scoop everything out relatively easily. The biggest pain in the ass is cleaning the lint trap.

See them two little holes, you gotta grab them with your fingers and pull out the lint trap to change it. It's a stretch, but it is doable, however I would definitely struggle if I didn't have enough room to pull my chair right up next to the washer to reach up there.

Bottom line is I would rather deal with cleaning the hard to reach lint trap than have another ten square feet of my little apartment taken up by a dryer on the floor.

Everyone's posts were good. I want it as easy as possible so I'll go with either side by side front loading or a all-in-one washer dryer.
    But, the front loading washer and dryer are not pretty to look at. My laundry is in a part of the kitchen where I want a table to eat at. Also I'd like to have room for a tall cabinet for a pantry. So the 24" compact front loading machines look good. They are really expensive, though.
    I'll post when I finally get something installed!
    Rich