Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling with hoya lift?

Traveling with hoya lift?

Just curious if anybody else has had issues with this. I am a C5 quad and my uses a hoya lift to get me from chair to bed, and back. Recently while traveling on two separate occasions, and booking handicapped accessible rooms at Marriott properties we go to use the hoya lift and the legs can't slide under the bed because it is on a wooden base that goes all the way to the floor. In one instance we had to find another hotel. After contacting Marriott about this issue they just said that there is no ADA requirement concerning this. Just curious if I am the only quad that uses a hoya lift and has had this problem.
    Thanks,
    Riz

I assume you mean a Hoyer (which is a brand) lift? Is that the actual brand you use??

I don't know of any floor-based mechanical lifts that will work with a platform bed, which is what you are describing. Unfortunately the ADA regulations for lodging do not address the furniture at all, so hotels can get by with a platform bed and still be compliant with other aspects of the ADA (such as door width).

We always called ahead when staying in a hotel/motel and spoke to the manager directly about whether or not they have a platform bed only in the accessible room we are reserving, and if they do, if they are willing to switch it out for a regular bed that has space underneath. Don't just talk to some reservation clerk. Otherwise, we have also taken furniture risers or wood blocks made from 6"X6"s and just lifted the bed up on the corners this way so that we can get our lift underneath.

(KLD)

Thanks SCI-Nurse, It is a Lykolift, and yes from now on I will call ahead and ask specificaly.

Blog Entries
    Last time I traveled, despite checking ahead, I still spent nights on a roll away cot. Marriot was the worst offender.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

We've found that whenever we run into A hotel platform bed (aka the dead hooker prevention style ) it's easiest to pull me down on the bed a little ways and straddled the corners to get me up or put me down. For us anyhow that's much easier than sleeping on a cot are trying to find another motel since most of them have the same type of platform bed.

Never thought about putting blocks underneath a platform to raise it however that seems like a lot of work unless you have a pit crew with you :-)
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

I thought I read somewhere recently that California has a mandate that there must be 9 inches of clearance under the bed. Is this accurate?

http://www.lexology.com/library/deta...9-31d33f049e8d

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    I thought I read somewhere recently that California has a mandate that there must be 9 inches of clearance under the bed. Is this accurate?
    Yes, in CA under the revisions of the CA Building Code (2010) there must be clear space under the bed.

Chapter 11B - Public accommodations and publicly funded housing including but not limited to:

• Hotels
    • Congregate residences
    • Residential care facilities for the elderly

There are some special cases that may alter the above. See CBC Chapter 11A for more information.

Commercial facilities in private residences: Private residences are generally exempt; however, areas used for commercial purposes by employees or visitors must comply with the access code. Additionally, the path of travel and sanitary facilities serving the commercial areas must be accessible.

Public and common use rooms or areas: At least one of each type of amenity (such as washers, dryers and similar equipment installed for the use of occupants) in each common area shall be accessible and shall be located on an accessible route to any accessible unit or sleeping accommodation. Exception: Where elevators are not required, accessible amenities are not required on inaccessible floors as long as one of each type is provided in common areas on accessible floors.

Transient lodging: Hotels, motels, inns, dormitories, resorts, homeless shelters, halfway houses and similar places shall be accessible.

Available range of accommodations: Accessible guest rooms shall be distributed to allow for selection among all classes, sizes, amenities and costs available at any given facility. See CBC for detailed quantity requirements.

Guest rooms: All required accessible sleeping rooms or suites shall comply with requirements for hearing impaired guests.

Doors: Doors to and within accessible guestrooms must meet required size and maneuvering clearances. Doors to and within guestrooms that are not required to be accessible must meet required size but are not required to provided maneuvering clearances.

Access to beds: Beds in accessible sleeping rooms shall have a 36" wide clear maneuvering space on both sides. Where two beds are provided, a single 36" wide clear space may be located between beds. A clear space must also be provided under accessible beds.

Kitchens and wet bars: When provided, must be accessible.
    http://deedsdesign.hubpages.com/hub/ada-in-california

Apparently this is also under consideration as a regulation through the Access Board (which is in charge of ADA regulations at the federal level). I would check on their website for public comment opportunities.

(KLD)

Thanks for info, I am going to look into this.

If hotels and motels are supposed to follow these California regulations there are numerous places who thumb their nose at it but that shouldn't be a big surprise since there is a huge medical community in California that hasn't conformed too the ada law either.
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys_Place View Post
    If hotels and motels are supposed to follow these California regulations there are numerous places who thumb their nose at it but that shouldn't be a big surprise since there is a huge medical community in California that hasn't conformed too the ada law either.
    You are definitely right, Cowboy. Just like other aspects of the ADA, there are no "ADA police", and compliance will have to be regulated by people filing complaints and suits to get their rights met. Those who do so are not just benefiting themselves, but everyone else with a disability who needs these accommodations.

(KLD)