Thread: Power Chair Decision...

Power Chair Decision...

Well, the time has come. My shoulders don't like me anymore, so I'm looking at getting my first powerchair. I'm going tonight for a "test drive". I'm looking at the Permobile 300 and 350 and the Edge by Quantum. Does anyone have any experience with these chairs? My main concern is getting around in the yard and off the pavement with the kids.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

I have been using an M300 for almost 3 years. I have not had any problems in my backyard or the adjacent park. It has proven to be a good outdoor chair, but the ride is a bit rough. Not having used other power chairs, I do not know how it compares. I tried Permobil Front, rear, and mid-wheel drives and found the M300 to be the best for getting around tight spaces in doors.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMike View Post
    Well, the time has come. My shoulders don't like me anymore, so I'm looking at getting my first powerchair. I'm going tonight for a "test drive". I'm looking at the Permobile 300 and 350 and the Edge by Quantum. Does anyone have any experience with these chairs? My main concern is getting around in the yard and off the pavement with the kids.
    First, I know nothing and it usually shows...
    I have a Q Edge for alittle over a year. It handles well and is pretty much has the narrowest overall width of a chair I've ever had. I was hesitant concerning going to 6 wheel technology but I got it used for $200 and figured it was best way to try 6 wheel. It has power recline and powered articulating foot platform and seat was right size. A local lady's mother had had cancer and they just wanted rid of it.
    My DME had joystick settings adjusted, seating height and foot thingie length matched to me in matter of like a hour.
    It handles well in tight situations, like doctor's offices and our van.
    Permobil 350 is RWD and is good chair. Mama has had hers for about 2 years with Corpus seating. She loves the seating system especially with pads and wedges to help with positioning and the looks of her chair. She has had no problems with it. The only thing that bothers her is range is not what she is use to. Most likey due to 350 has Group 34 batteries which is less range than her old chair's. Also, the foot plates when fully down and no tilt it inhibits drive mode, guess might be made to do this so won't hit front castors.

If you have not checked them out you might want to look at AmySystem. My current primarily chair is All-Track R Heavy Duty. It's called RWD but does have 6 wheels in active contact with ground. They have several videos of it's stability on uneven/rough terrain on their site and on YouTube.
    To be honest I have no knowledge of any maneuverability off of hard solid surfaces on any chair. I flipped over backwards years ago while going up a steep driveway. I tend to stay on solid, smooth and even ground.
    Also, I hope it is OK to post this, if not I am sorry and please delete if inappropriate.
    If you have not visited WheelchairJunkie you might check it out. Mr. Smith is a very kind gentleman and will answer and assist with information on wheelchair stuff especially Pride Mobility Equipment like the Edge.

"Good Luck!"

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I have a Permobil C500 and it works reasonably well off pavement. Permobil has winter tires on their order form and it helped a lot with traction when mine were put on.

Permobil is one of the best chairs on the market and Pride Mobility one of the poorest quality ones.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt