Thread: I started vocational rehab therapy

I started vocational rehab therapy

Holy cow! It's super intense. The morning starts with speech therapy to work on my memory and cognitive skills. I have a few problems with memory with some of the medications I take for seizures. It really messes with my short-term memory. Then there's putting shapes and stuff together, usually in a specific order. The next session is occupational therapy. There's more memory test and so far that's as far as I've gotten to that session. I know there's going to be some more intricate stuff in there soon. Then comes physical therapy. We started with what function I have at what level. It turns out I have triceps working in some function all the way down to C7. I also have feeling all the way to l5 in my lower back. It's miserable but it exists. My PT says I'm incomplete which is a major bonus for me (except for the back and hip pain). I'm very restricted on how much I can make and still get state insurance to cover my caregivers. I already get $1650 a month from Social Security (although they take $300 a month or student loan deficiencies and I only get $100 a month allowance at this facility I live at) and I can only make $2000 a month before I lose my insurance to fund my caregivers so I'm thinking of going to Walmart or something getting a little job a few days a week and being an intern at a drafting company (which is what I'd like to do in the long run) and hopefully land a job with insurance ready to go. It starts at 9:45 AM and goes sometimes until 2:30 PM. I'll tell you, I'm pretty sore from all that over a couple days. I go back Monday for 4 days a week with Tuesday's off. It feels great to be up there working on getting back to work. I need to be able to get my own place and fund my own characters but still have insurance.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Sounds good, Ry! Be sure you are also getting information about a PASS program and Ticket to Work to be able to protect your benefits.

(KLD)

It's great to hear of your progress! Sounds like you are working hard on it.