Thread: On aspiring to the present

Blog Entries

On aspiring to the present

I heard someone on TV recently lauding the promise of the weather with the exhortation to ?go out and create some memories.? Does that strike anyone else as an oddly misplaced aspiration? Is not the present the best time to inhabit life fully? Is there a better time to live, laugh, love than in real-time?

Then there?s the inherent tension: I think I?m living as best I can right now, but am I really, since behind it all as always the vision of what life might be after the cure. I hit a dead-end on that reflection, invite your thoughts. I do realize that such a pondering is a luxury that some are
    suffering too much to enjoy, and I apologize if my frivolity irks you.

And in total aside: the ?on? at the start of my title was purely a voice recognition peccadillo, not the affectation that it seems. I can?t remember
    what it was I read with chapters titled that way that raises the specter of affectation. Does anyone know?1

There's only two time frames that are important: today and all the rest of my life.
    And every day I navigate successfully generates a past that is increasingly nice to reflect on.

Blog Entries
    Hi Randy!

I like Jackson Brown's take: And while the future's there for anyone to change Still you know it's seems
    It would be easier sometimes to change the past. Unfortunately, now and the rest of your life is the only time you have even an iota of control over. I was crippled at 56, and had lived my life before that to the (nearly) max, doing what I wanted to do when I could - never putting things off until I had the time or money or any of dozens of other barriers. I was saddened by the loss of control of 70% of my body, but did not feel cheated. For me, that makes keepin' on easier...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury