Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: auto insurance

auto insurance

I just switched my auto insurance to Allstate. I have always paid extra for the modifications to my van. I was very surprised when the Allstate agent told me that they don't charge extra for that. She said that they don't charge extra as long as the modifications are permanently attached to the vehicle. They wouldn't add language to the policy stating that, but I have several emails saved where they promise that my modifications are covered. I'm still doubtful but has anyone else heard this?

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    I'm in Tucson.....costs me $118/6 mos more for $25k coverage with State Farm.
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

It's true. I use to be a Allstate agent. I went to work for another company but kept my Allstate policy because of that.

True here too....we have modifications on both of our vehicles and none needed extra coverage for them.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

I have Geico and pay nothing extra for the $25,000 of modifications my van has. The rep told me they consider hand controls, ramps, etc to be safety modifications (I.e. Make you a safer driver) so no additional cost.

Quote Originally Posted by sledgrl View Post
    I have Geico and pay nothing extra for the $25,000 of modifications my van has. The rep told me they consider hand controls, ramps, etc to be safety modifications (I.e. Make you a safer driver) so no additional cost.
    I would double check on that. In Florida Geico does charge extra for those items. It could be a state law there but I would double check to be sure. Some new agents can make mistakes.

I'm in Georgia and my auto insurance doesn't charge me more for my hand controls.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    Make sure what you find out what they're gonna pay for if you file a claim. I just got off the phone with an agent who could quote me the 25k but all they'll pay out is 4k. I'm not sure if it's tied to the value of the vehicle but I'm checking on that. I'll bet my bottom dollar that they're not giving stuff away for nuthin'; ESPECIALLY, insurance companies!

r
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by goldnucs View Post
    Make sure what you find out what they're gonna pay for if you file a claim. I just got off the phone with an agent who could quote me the 25k but all they'll pay out is 4k. I'm not sure if it's tied to the value of the vehicle but I'm checking on that. I'll bet my bottom dollar that they're not giving stuff away for nuthin'; ESPECIALLY, insurance companies!

r
    x2.

I'm skeptical until I see it in writing.

I'm not talking about hand controls. I'm referring to the lift and lower floor.