Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Private disability insurance for the disabled going back to work... is it possible?

Re: "3. What about social security?
    I heard years ago that if you have something serious like an SCI and you go back to work (therfore losing SSD) you can get back on it just by not working, and you don't have to prove any exacerbation or "new" disability. Am I right about that? Anyone have any experience working for a time and then going back on disability? Is there a waiting period like the six months to get on it to begin with?"

Look into Social Security's TICKET TO WORK program . http://www.ssa.gov/work/ . It allows you to try and return to work earning your full salary and benefits while still reciving full monthly SSD benefits during the trial time period. The website also explains about how to get re-instated in SSD if things don't go as planned.

If you are starting a new job that offers company benefits like health insurance, long term disability and long term care insurance, you should eligible for them at hire with no medical underwriting. Make sure to check the exact deadline for signing up.

Best of luck to you !

I was talking about health ins.. But I also bought disability ins. through them too.

Some time after retirement my employer-sponsored health insurance, BC/BS, became 2nd payer, Medicare first payer for medical issues. Then, I received a solitation from employer-related LTD plan and jumped at the application - we are two disabled couple. The rates were reasonable. Filled out page one successfully, the turned the page over to page 2 and first question there was (I'm not kidding): 'Are you in a wheelchair or use a wheelchair?" "If the answer to this is Yes, do not continue, you will not be eligible for LTD".
    Meanwhile, this same plan literature stated 'you will not need to fill out these questions if you are still currently employed (with this employer).'

My thought is that if your employer offers LTD while you are employed, take it, if only to provide a transition income until you receive SSDI. The LTD company may make you coordinate with eventual SSDI benefit amount. That would be important to check as you stated you want an income stream in addition to the SSDI. These things can be checked out with the company person who handles insurance. I would want them to help you get something in writing from the LTD company before signing up for it.

P.S. If you are paralyzed, sitting in a wheelchair, you will get SSDI if you leave the work world. Also I believe your benefit check continues for about a year and a half after employment starts - you should let SSDI rep know your list of expenses like transportation, devices, equipment, etc. that you need to get.
    I used to deduct such expenses on tax return under "Other", not "Medical" which only allows a percentage.

My husband who has been a quad since 1985 went back and got his degree and worked for EDS and Hewlett Packard for 16 years. He had both long and short term disability policies. A few years ago he began having major problems with a Charcot joint in his spine and a tethered cord which has resulted in severe central pain which has prevented him from going back to work. His physician had to submit documentation quite frequently at first but once he was approved for disability under Social Security his doctor has only had to send an update after 2 years so far. His disability claim was not due to his paralysis but due to the new issues which had occurred that resulted in his inability to work. He didn't have any difficulty getting approved even though his issues are a direct result of having the original spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonko's Mom View Post
    My husband who has been a quad since 1985 went back and got his degree and worked for EDS and Hewlett Packard for 16 years. He had both long and short term disability policies. A few years ago he began having major problems with a Charcot joint in his spine and a tethered cord which has resulted in severe central pain which has prevented him from going back to work. His physician had to submit documentation quite frequently at first but once he was approved for disability under Social Security his doctor has only had to send an update after 2 years so far. His disability claim was not due to his paralysis but due to the new issues which had occurred that resulted in his inability to work. He didn't have any difficulty getting approved even though his issues are a direct result of having the original spinal cord injury.
    I'm sorry for your husband's new health issues, but I am glad to hear that disability kicked in eventually. It seems that the insurance companies are fairly reasonable from what people have been saying thus far.