Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Private disability insurance for the disabled going back to work... is it possible?

Private disability insurance for the disabled going back to work... is it possible?

Hey,

So I'm on SSD right now, but I will be going back to work next year. I've had disability insurance through school because it was required for the past three years, but next year I think I will have the option of continuing my school disability insurance throughout my career and it got me thinking. Oh, and I guess it's relevant that I have a complete spinal cord injury.

1. Will they even cover me?

I mean I guess I could probably beat them into submission with an army of lawyers if something totally unrelated happened, but probably the most likely scenarios would be at least loosely related to my "preexisting" SCI so I'm assuming they would just deny it, and I'd be paying all those premiums for nothing. Anybody have experience using private disability insurance that you acquired after your injury?

2. Does "good" private disability insurance exist for us?
    Maybe not through the random insurance company my school makes me buy it from. Anyone know of any good insurance companies? It's likely that my job will have some sort of group policy that I could buy into, but jobs seem so transient and temporary these days I'd rather have something I can take with me.

3. What about social security?

I heard years ago that if you have something serious like an SCI and you go back to work (therfore losing SSD) you can get back on it just by not working, and you don't have to prove any exacerbation or "new" disability. Am I right about that? Anyone have any experience working for a time and then going back on disability? Is there a waiting period like the six months to get on it to begin with?

Basically I'd like more coverage than Social security offers, because while I've been able to scrape by on my wits, scholarships and student loans for the past few years, I don't like the idea of finding myself later in my life trying to survive on $800 a month in social security again.

All experience, suggestions, answers are appreciated!

Thanks

I'm 21 years post and have worked at 3 different places since my injury. I've been covered by each company's insurance and never been rejected or coverage limited due to a pre existing condition (SCI). I do not have any additional medical insurance besides my insurance thru work.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

I would find it extremely unlikely that you would be able to find a private individual long-term care or disability insurance that would cover you with a SCI. I actually got turned down for benign familial tremor, even though I am AB.

On the other hand, if you have the option of getting a group plan through an employer (such as the federal government) you are very likely going to be able to covered by that. If it is available, sign up.

(KLD)

Once the exchanges open up again you will have no problem finding coverage. Now it's true under the obamacare program they don't cover some medications. But sci is no problem.

Thanks for your replies.

I guess one of my main concerns is that a company would happily take my premiums each year and then if I ever needed the insurance say "Oh, look here at clause 14b.3.1 subsection 29 in the fine print it says we don't have to pay you because you were already disabled when you signed up... have a nice life".

Does anyone have any experience receiving benefits from a private disability insurance plan that you purchased (or got from your employer) post injury?

While I was already working with my company when I acquired my disability, I married my husband in 2009 (who has an SCI/TBI since 1988) and we never received any hassle about him receiving benefits or anything like that. Not once did they say sorry...he was injured prior to being covered by you.

Although not the same situation...it is similar enough to give you my experience.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Just get the details from your company how it all works and "fits" together. I used up all Short term in no time I "ate" the LTDI up as well. The short time was changed to long term doe to length of time. My LTDI had a $2 MILLION cap on it. That was eaten up as well. Then I ended up on SSDI which I guess will be on till I am 65.

Yes, I bought a plan from Assurant and have had no problems. I bought it last year not on the exchange. If you buy it off the exchange you will be subsidize for your premium and it will be cheap. Your prior sci will have no effect on claims.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Yes, I bought a plan from Assurant and have had no problems. I bought it last year not on the exchange. If you buy it off the exchange you will be subsidize for your premium and it will be cheap. Your prior sci will have no effect on claims.
    Rainman,

Are you talking about medical insurance or disability insurance? Is there some sort of exchange for disability insurance as well?

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    While I was already working with my company when I acquired my disability, I married my husband in 2009 (who has an SCI/TBI since 1988) and we never received any hassle about him receiving benefits or anything like that. Not once did they say sorry...he was injured prior to being covered by you.

Although not the same situation...it is similar enough to give you my experience.
    Thanks, this seems promising.