Thread: Colostomy and abdominal binders

Colostomy and abdominal binders

After years of pain and suffering and accidents I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and get a colostomy done. I've talked to the Drs and nurses all ready but needed time to think about it and talk to other ostomy paitents my age. My bigest concern is wearing my abdominal binder for blood pressure, posture and to hold in the ol quad gut. Any one out there make the two of them work? I currently wear a dale binder and a back support that really helps my balance. Any help is appreciated.
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

We just have our OTs take a regular Dale abdominal binder, cut out a round section of the panel that fits over the stoma, and either stitch the edges or seal with fabric glue. Works well. If you know anyone who can sew, even by hand, they could help you with this.

(KLD)

I don't use a binder. I had colostomy surgery 14 wks ago.. Best decision ever! Just went to Daytona last weekend for 4 days.. No bc.. I was able to eat what I wanted to with no worries.. Just a quick 5 min bag change when needed and I was good to go..

Thanks for the help guys. I was against it until talking to another para my level and my age and he loves it and was telling me he travels around the US in his sports car and doesn't need a special room with roll in showers which is a big problem with me. Just knowing when your gonna go would be nice. But the blood pressure thing is a set back.

A ostomy nurse tried to tell me the bag could go under the binder and it would still flow out. I can't believe that at all.
    Did you have to change what kinda shirts you had to wear?
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

http://nu-hope.com/products.php they are somewhat expensive but very well-made. I have three of them.
    Injury date 6/10/87
    Gunshot
    C4/5 Quad

how do you keep the binder from rolling up I am a c6c7 quad

You can get binders with metal or hard plastic stays in them, but these can cause problems for your skin. The stays (in the back) help to prevent the binder from rolling up.

(KLD)

21 year T-6 Para now 1 year post colostomy. I wish I would have done this 20 years ago. I got mine placed kind of high so it doesn't interfere with my pants. It's about an inch higher than my belly button. I quit wearing a binder when I left rehab. I don't think that would work at all unless it had a hole in it for the appliance.
    Build a man a fire and you heat him for a day.
    Set hime on fire and you heat him for life.