Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who knows a good skin prep for condom cath with sensitive skin?

Who knows a good skin prep for condom cath with sensitive skin?

I am going to try Coloplast 2041, or something like that. Today, my dermatologist will check it out, too.

The skin under the catheter is red, probably because of the summer heat. It makes its own moisture, too, and I do not want that because it undermines the adhesive and makes more sores from leaking urine.

I have recommended to my patients who have irritation or skin sores on the penis from use of an external condom catheter to wrap a trim-to-fit piece of duoderm over the irritated skin, place the skin prep atop the duoderm then place the condom catheter atop. I recommend this to heal the skin that has been irritated.

I have a few patients who use, if you can believe it, some kind of rubber cement to prevent leakage - never complained of a sore - go figure.

pbr

The best skin prep we have found is 3M's Cavilon no sting barrier film. The 'no sting" aspect is particularly important if there is skin irritation, and it also dries fast.

Agree with RKA
    You may want to consider a different type of catheter also. There are many brands out there to try

pbr

The right type of external cath is critical, especially as we age and after a sphincter operation things can change. A few years back I had to switch from a long sleeve external to a short sleeve (SS Clear advantage) as the long ones were bunching up at the base due to retraction and caused a really bad sore. Took a while to figure out what was going on but when I did and switched to the shorter caths it solved the problem. I sometimes just alcohol wipe pads before applying if the skin does not feel smooth otherwise no prep pads. Now things are changing back the other way, seem to be getting my libido back too for whatever reason and I could probably get a away with a longer cath again, go figure? You gotta roll with the punches with SCI. My theory is that the Sphincter operation I had done 4 years ago caused nerve damage and things changed and then slowly the nerves grew back and reconnected and things have come back to as they were.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Tincture of Benzoin bought on Amazon, small plastic bottle with cap with applicator, about 14.00. This is applied after daily shower, dry penis, swab on benzoin, pat dry, apply condom. Condom will adhere all day with no problem. I have never had any irritation from using this.

I use Wide Band condom cath. they seem to adhere as well as any I have tried.

We don't recommend tincture of Benzoin. Skin prep first, hydrocolloid ( AKA duoderm ). Benzoin can cause issues over time.
    When you remove external catheter you need to apply water to adhesive and let it come lose without pulling off skin- sometimes it is the removing process that is irritating it.Skin prep acts as a nother layer of skin that the catheter sticks too. Benzoin does not.
    CWO

I have been using Medett Uristrips adhesive liner 15 x 120mm for many many years I used to get irritated skin from other adhesives but have absolutely no issues with this

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I have recommended to my patients who have irritation or skin sores on the penis from use of an external condom catheter to wrap a trim-to-fit piece of duoderm over the irritated skin, place the skin prep atop the duoderm then place the condom catheter atop. I recommend this to heal the skin that has been irritated.

I have a few patients who use, if you can believe it, some kind of rubber cement to prevent leakage - never complained of a sore - go figure.

pbr
    Sci Nurse, Could you please give me a little more info on use of the duoderm (with which I'm not too familiar); is a certain weight (or thickness) of duoderm best to use? Once it is applied to the skin, is it left in place for several days or removed once a day to wash the penis? I have been using tape and foam catheter straps to hold on my husband's external catheter, and both the tape and the foam irritate and sometimes abrade the skin. Thank you.