Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Full Sized Van Mods

New Full Sized Van Mods

Now that Ford has discontinued the Econoline replacing it with the new, larger Transit does anyone know if these (Transits) are being modified w transfer seats. I have concerns about the sliding doors. I believe the full sized Nissan van also has only sliding doors. Am I limited to only the full sized GM vans and how long will they continue these? Deep down I suspect most mobility dealers want to push the mini-van conversion for everyone. Is Braun or other mobility companies working on anything to convert these new vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    Now that Ford has discontinued the Econoline replacing it with the new, larger Transit does anyone know if these (Transits) are being modified w transfer seats. I have concerns about the sliding doors. I believe the full sized Nissan van also has only sliding doors. Am I limited to only the full sized GM vans and how long will they continue these? Deep down I suspect most mobility dealers want to push the mini-van conversion for everyone. Is Braun or other mobility companies working on anything to convert these new vehicles?
    If you need a full size accessible van right now i'd find a Econoline.

If you need to get one in the next year or so and drive from a wheelchair i'd find one asap.

Its going to take a while to get everything sorted/figured out on the Transits.

When Dodge changed there electrical systems back in 2008 it was almost 2 years before it was sorted out.

fwiw: iv'e never seen a aftermarket door opener i really cared for on a slider.

I was very happy when Ford was it in the 90's dropped the slider from the Econoline's options?

They were always a pia.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

I love my full sized Ford but the add on slider door opener really sucks. It works but is noisy and hits the body, I have had it in several times and they can't make it better so I just live with it.
    ^^(A)^^

I have an Econoline with a slider/Braun opener and it has given me many years of trouble free service. That said, it's pretty much a Rube Goldberg operating system, but it's very simple, easy to repair, and just about all the parts can be bought through an automotive/industrial supply company.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    I have an Econoline with a slider/Braun opener and it has given me many years of trouble free service. That said, it's pretty much a Rube Goldberg operating system, but it's very simple, easy to repair, and just about all the parts can be bought through an automotive/industrial supply company.
    "Trouble free service"...."easy to repair"..."parts can be purchased..." Am I reading this wrong?

One of my E150's had a sliding door and chalk me up as another that didn't like it.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Yep that must be the one I have it was installed by Braun
    ^^(A)^^

The motor is a early GM window motor that can be bought at any auto parts store. The chain that drives it can be bought at any industrial supply house. They are the two main parts, it doesn't get much simpler that that. But you're correct, if you don't keep up with lubricating the sliding door components then yes, they can be troublesome.

When you use a pwr opener on sliding door do you have to have an under vehicle lift or is there a Braun platform lift that fits in the opening? Does anyone know if there is talk of discontinuing Chevy full sized, I transfer to 6 way pwr seat and assume that will work fine? Automotive Innovations do you know if Nissan full sized and Transit Connect seats can be converted to 6 way power, I do both seats because my wife is chair user as well?

My lift is a Braun Swing Away (which has been discontinued) and stows inside.

I to have a Braun Swing Away on both my cans and I love it.
    ^^(A)^^