Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New van and cold feet

New van and cold feet

I backed out of three deals to buy vans over the past three years. I cannot back out of the latest one. It's final: A 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan with a ramp, dropped floor and all the other goodies.

For the past 40 years, I have been driving a two-door sedan. Three were Cadillacs and one was a Ford Gran Torino.

Does anyone else get cold feet and will that feeling go away as I get acclimated to the van?
    Last edited by Uncle Peter; 07-14-2014 at 02:02 PM.

What causes you to feel unsure about the purchase of an adapted van? price? not stylish enough? hard to drive? ????

All the best,
    GJ

me to mainly because of the extra parking room and the groundclearance or just to many moving parts to break but ive heard a lot of good things fromother van owners and they love them
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Blog Entries
    Once I moved to a ramped van, I never looked back.

Actually, if I could find a Jag XKE I could afford, I might switch...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

after 25 years of loading and unloading, I will never go back, just rollin' in and going is the bomb.....it never stopped me from going, but I sure do go to as many places all in one day without even thinking about it!

Blog Entries
    I think you'll come to appreciate the easier entry; so will your shoulders.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

My guess is you will wonder why you didn't do this 20 years ago.

We just jumped from minivans with a Braun Companion Seat for me, as passenger, to the full ramp, lowered floor, etc last summer. For ease and fast entry and exit in the snow or rain it is fantabulous! But knowing from paratransit the difference between riding in a factory produced captains chair and being locked in or strapped down in even a pwerchair had us agreeing that no longer than 4 hours at a go on highway trips. Other than that we both love the Honda with the Braunability conversion and Q'Strain lock system although a Porsche boxster is actually cheaper!
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Van are shoulder savers. That is no small thing.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I do not see any votes for staying with a regular car. At 42 years post-injury, I don't know how much longer my shoulders are going to last. My biggest concerns are finding enough room to put the ramp out , the fact that no one else can drive it except me and low parking garage heights.