Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you stay in shape if you use a power chair?

How do you stay in shape if you use a power chair?

I will be using a power chair at least half a day after I get my first van later this month. It's a Permobil C500 and a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan.

You have to control your diet and workout like a mad man. PM me and I can make some suggestions.
    ^^(A)^^

Find a cardio type exercise you can do in your wheelchair (such as using a hand ergometer) or an exercise you can do in addition to or instead of wheelchair pushing (such as hand cycling, swimming, etc.).

(KLD)

I have a handcycle. I haven't used it much because I was sick for most of last year. I have been wheelchair pushing for 42 years. Am I doing something harmful?

Dumbells, Exercise bands, Heavy Bag hanging in garage, pool.. Eat good, ab crunches every morning. full body deep tissue massage every month.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    I have a handcycle. I haven't used it much because I was sick for most of last year. I have been wheelchair pushing for 42 years. Am I doing something harmful?
    How are your shoulders holding up?

All the best,
    GJ

Hello Uncle Peter,

I used a specialized piece of equipment named "Upper Tone". It is designed by a Quadriplegic for Quads/Tetras. It has worked well for me and I would recommend it. You can view information about it here: http://quadriplegia.com

Good luck.

Millard

Note: Since using a power chair, I go many more places that I ever went on crutches or a manual chair and I have no shoulder problems!
    Last edited by Millard; 07-15-2014 at 09:16 AM.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by roc21 View Post
    Dumbells, Exercise bands, Heavy Bag hanging in garage, pool.. Eat good, ab crunches every morning. full body deep tissue massage every month.
    Can you elaborate on what you do with a heavy bag? Just boxing or other exercises?

The problems I have with the Upper Tone is it's expensive, it's heavy, not portable and it's large and takes up way to much space. Don't forget you not only need room for the equipment but if your in a chair you need lots of room to move around it. You can get a great workout with wrist weights, dumbbells, thumb weights which ever you can handle and some theraband. Be creative you can do more than you think a good hour long workout a day, lots of water and a clean diet will keep you in good shape.
    ^^(A)^^

I sent you a PM
    ^^(A)^^