Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are basic sit ups worth anything?

Hi Darty, can you post a video of the theraband exercise you were describing

i will have to try and record one but i sure will. give me a few days.
    ^^(A)^^

Theraband Exercise

In my old house I had this set up in an extra bedroom with an eye bolt in a wood stud but no room here so it's in the garage. It gets hot here in Vegas so it is an early morning thing. There is a steel and concrete post in front of my hot water tank and it was a mother to drill into but safety first. We used a tempered steel eye bolt with lock washers so it's good and strong. I also went to an outdoor outfitters store and bought a real sturdy climbers hook (don't want a cheap one coming apart and hitting you). I use the blue (medium) theraband but I started with the yellow and will go higher when I can. We just cut the theraband from the roll in equal lengths and I use welding sleeves to keep it from cutting into my sore shoulders. Tie a good strong knot in the loop and then I use dog collars to attach them to the climbers hook. The pet collars will give you some height adjustment so you can keep them equal lengths and keep the climbers hook from cutting the rubber. With the climbers hook it is also removable. I'll work on a video but here are some photos that may help you get the idea.

Name:  IMG_1141.JPG
Views: 108
Size:  115.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1142.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  98.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1144.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  95.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1145.JPG
Views: 103
Size:  126.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1147.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  100.7 KB
    Last edited by darty; 07-15-2014 at 12:59 PM.
    ^^(A)^^

Theraband crunches Video

I did this with my phone this morning and sorry about the fan noise but it is hot here in Southern Nevada. I do use welding sleeves to keep the rubber from hurting my shoulders so that is what the cloth is on each strap. Also I am in a power chair so I can increase or decrease the tension by pulling forward or backing up a bit. I try to work in a slow steady motion and think about contracting my stomach muscles then on the backwards motion I try to think about and use my back muscles to slow down the motion created by the band tension.

The file is to large I'll try to post it on youtube.
    ^^(A)^^

I sent you a PM
    ^^(A)^^

tryharder

The reason most trainers (of Able bodies) do not like full situps is because you are only engaging your abdominals for part of the movement and then using your hip flexors to complete it. However, with your goal of walking better, engaging both sets of muscles in sequence using full situps could help. Strengthening your abs will help with pelvic stability while upright. Strengthening your hip flexors will help with lifting your leg during the toe off/swing phase of your gait. Strengthening your abs will also counteract increased anterior tilt of your pelvis due to stronger hip flexors.

Ketamine Kitty

What were your PT and Doc "horrified" about?...your post is a bit unclear.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

Thanks Darty for the video. A fascinating modification for an independent quad exercise! Have you come with any other inventive adaptations for quad work outs?
    Last edited by JMS; 07-24-2014 at 03:21 PM.

fusions L345, bulging disks L12 (declined more surgery) stenosis and advanced degdisk disease full thoracic with multpile lainectomies, fused C23, with advanced stenosis, scar tissue issues througout spine, Shrapnel is moving. They deem it too damaged and unstable for sit ups and any unsupervised and PT assisted ab work.

i think many here had a traumatic injury but are otherwise stable. my circumstace is combat related with neck back and shoulder complications. but i also knoe there are other folks here with compicted isses.

probably should not have posted as members here know what they are and my gut is somewhatembarassing as my legs and arms waste away.

ket

Yes I have a bunch I will work on videos to post. Maybe I'll give you all my secrets. lol...
    ^^(A)^^

Hi Darty, I was talking to a physio friend of mine today and she was impressed with it. She also suggested that I try it with the resistance bands located at my biceps and bring my arms together to work the pectoral muscle i.e., like simulating the butterfly machine. We started looking around my place to see where I could rig up something like your set up. Secondly, I am inspired on how you use your power chair to get attached to the resistance bands when they are loose and easy to get on and then drive away to help create the desired tension. I have a power chair but I do not use it while exercising and now I see a benefit to using it for certain exercises.

I think that is great to have variety exercises, even if some duplicate a specific muscle, to help break up the monotony and keep the fitness routine fresh.