Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compression Stockings - 7/9/14

Compression Stockings - 7/9/14

I know this thread has been done before, but old links don?t work. I need advice on compression socks. I used to wear TED hose but found out they are not good for preventing swelling, so I need new brand.

There are too many sock options and I?m lost. For those of you who also have no leg movement, which compression socks do you wear? Thanks.

I use Jobst 30-40 Compression which I believe to be the "Tightest" you can buy without a prescription. The work well for me. Ted hose did nothing

Blog Entries
    I have been using SIGVARIS Athletic Recovery Sock that I get from Amazon. They work really well for me and 2 pair last me about 2 years. I hand wash them with lukewarm water and castile soap (Dr. Bronners) & air dry them, and they seem to last longer than when I washed them in a machine.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by 92Trunk View Post
    I use Jobst 30-40 Compression which I believe to be the "Tightest" you can buy without a prescription. The work well for me. Ted hose did nothing
    Thanks for responding. I'm afraid of going that high of compression. I'm worried about pressure sores. I might go 20-30. What type/model of Jobst do you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    I have been using SIGVARIS Athletic Recovery Sock that I get from Amazon. They work really well for me and 2 pair last me about 2 years. I hand wash them with lukewarm water and castile soap (Dr. Bronners) & air dry them, and they seem to last longer than when I washed them in a machine.
    Thank you for responding. These look pretty good. But I noticed that the sizing chart doesn't take into account calf circumference. My calves are thin as a rail! Do you have any issues with them staying up?

I use Jobst 30-40 compression stockings. I also have 20-30mm socks as well. I prefer the higher compression even though they are hard to put on with limited hand function.

You might try the 20-30 mm compression first and see how effective they are. You can always go up or down.

Good luck.

Both Jobst and Sigvaris also offer custom made stocking if the standard sizes don't fit you. Many insurances will cover these. A vendor would need to measure and fit you for the custom ones.

All compression hose should be hand washed with mild soap (like Woolite), rinsed well, and air dried. Never dry them in the drier, even on cool.

(KLD)

I used CEP for 1+ year. They are athletic and gradual compression. Not fun putting on or taking off, but they definitely work. Not cheap though. Here is where I got them www.compressionstockings.com .

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    Thanks for responding. I'm afraid of going that high of compression. I'm worried about pressure sores. I might go 20-30. What type/model of Jobst do you buy?
    The model number of the Jobst I use is 115110. They are listed ad casual stockings but appear as dress socks. These are knee high with control top. I've never had issues with pressure sores with any high compression socks but you have to make sure there are no creases or folds in them

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Have been using Futuro Restoring Dress Socks for years. The firm, 20-30 mm/Hg works great for me. Knee high. With ted hose my feet would swell up like little footballs after 10 hours in my chair.
    No longer after using these socks. Usually last 2 or 3 years. Amazon, about 11 or 12 bucks.

Works just as good as the more expensive brands that I started with.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 07-12-2014 at 06:49 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt