Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disabled parking placards / wheelchair specific placards?

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

Disabled parking placards / wheelchair specific placards?

Disabled parking placards / wheelchair specific placards?

How do the Disabled parking placards work in your area/city? and what state issued yours?

I live in Washington State, which keeps things real simple.
    You can park:
    On the street, for free, in any parking space that is time restricted (including metered parking). This doesn?t apply to privately-owned parking lots or areas reserved for special types of vehicles (fire lanes, loading zones, etc.).
    In any specially-designated disabled parking space.
    Note: Van-accessible spaces are designed for use by wheelchair vans. Please use them only if you drive a wheelchair van or no other disabled parking spaces are available.
    You can?t park in zones or areas:
    Where stopping, parking, or standing of all vehicles is prohibited.
    Reserved for special types of vehicles (fire lanes, loading zones, etc.).

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/parkinguse.html

I live close to Portland Oregon and the city has just changed how it's parking policy operates regarding disabled parking placards.

Also learned that Oregon issues wheelchair specific placards!

Interested to know if anyone other states/cities do this,
    Oregon issues two different types of placards, one for Disabled, and one specifically for wheelchair users.

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/shared/cfm/image.cfm?id=491735

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/64922

If you have the wheelchair user placard, then you're entitled to the unlimited parking, their is no time limit.
    BUT if you're using an out of state placard you are out of luck, time limits apply and you have to pay on meters etc.

So I travel to Portland often, and for medical appointments, one of the offices I visit is a parking permit zone plus one hour for visitors, which worked out fine before with the parking placard, of course now as soon as I stay over an hour I get a parking ticket, so if Portland is going to be so hostile you'd think there would be some program where there would be reciprocity with other states wheelchair users( UNITED states and all).

Never having to have to think about this before, now curious to know how it is in other states and cities from experience etc. ?

I hope the "wheelchair only" tag catches on nationwide. Texas has over 300,000 disabled tags, and even among the small subset of users that are legitimately mobility impaired, wheelchair users are a tiny minority. Yet, the van accessible parking places are the first to fill.

I'm curious to know how many States issue wheel chair user tags.... and like you say which states are considering changing to this idea?

Unfortunately CA has not joined this movement. Tons of handicapped placards, many obtained illicitly, and many people holding onto "grandma's" placard and using it after she dies. The state requires it to be returned to the DMV after a death, but there is no enforcement.

(KLD)

IL came out with a new 'severely disabled' or some such type of tag...yellow now. From what I gather it will allow a pass on paying metered street parking in the city of Chicago. Beyond that, not sure. I don't think I'll get mowed down by a bus while getting out of the car to try it out.

PA, I know of people who do use them and nothing wrong with them. It is enough to make me puke. I do not drive. Should I ever again, I have no intention of ever parking in disabled parking - period.

The wheelchair user placard

The regular disabled placard.

The temporary disabled placard.

Baltimore, Md just changed from unlimited free parking at city meters to having to pay and obey time limits.

They say it's to free up parking spots and to cut down on dis tag theft but I don't think each of those spots we're supposed to pay to use has a ramp right there so you don't have to wheel a block just to get up to feed the meter then another block to get on the path to where you're headed.

I don't mind paying, just the struggle of getting to the meters. It's bad enough to need to hold up traffic on a street while you get the chair out, reassemble it, and manage your carcass into the seat.

I agree that wheelchair tags would be helpful. I'll have to look up more on the specifics of the 2 tier tag system, to advocate for them here in Md and Delaware. Do they issue them for anyone who uses a w/c or only for those who are dependent upon them for all mobility? (in other words those of us who can't stow the w/c in the trunk and walk around to the drivers door.)

Illinois issues 4 types of placard.

The Secretary of State’s office issues four types of parking placards:

• Meter-Exempt Permanent Placards — Issued to persons with permanent disabilities who have significant impairments that cause difficulty in accessing a parking meter. This placard also allows the authorized holder to park in spaces reserved for persons with disabilities such as at a mall, grocery or retail store, etc., and exempts the authorized holder from parking meter fees and time limitations at parking meters that exceed a 30-minute time limit statewide. To be eligible for this placard, the person with the disability must have a valid Illinois driver’s license, and their physician must certify that they meet the criteria as outlined on the certification form. This placard DOES exempt the authorized holder from parking meter fees.
    • Non Meter-Exempt Permanent Placards — Issued to persons with permanent disabilities who still have the ability to access the parking meter and allows the authorized holder to park in spaces for persons with disabilities such as a mall, grocery or retail store, etc. This placard DOES NOT exempt the authorized holder from parking meter fees and time limitations at parking meters.
    • Temporary Placards — Issued to persons with a temporary disability and are valid for the length of time indicated by the certifying physician, not to exceed six months if issued by the Secretary of State and 90 days if issued by a local municipality. This placard DOES NOT exempt the authorized holder from parking meter fees and time limitations at parking meters.
    • Organization Placards – Issued to organizations that transport persons with disabilities free of charge and expire on April 30, 2018. Organizational placards allow the authorized holder to park in spaces reserved for persons with disabilities when transporting persons with disabilities. This placard DOES NOT exempt the authorized holder from parking meter fees and time limitations at parking meters.
    http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/se...abilities.html

I have the Oregon wheelchair only placard. I still cannot ever find a spot due to the fact that the others (dark blue placards)are always parked there, The only thing I like is the free street parking. The enforcement is just as bad here as it is anywhere else.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess