Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disabled parking placards / wheelchair specific placards?

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    Everybody and their mothers have placards in AZ. They pass 'em out like candy on Halloween here. I can rarely find an available space and once inside an establishment I can rarely find anyone using a chair. I think it's a great idea to have special placards for wheelchair users only.

rick
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    rick@GoesAnywhere.com
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    I like the idea, but it would be nice to frame the statute in a more rounded less ambiguous manner.
    Seriously thinking about trying to see what is involved in getting this instituted.

In the mean time looking to hear which states have different two kinds of placards.
    So let me know what state you're in and whether your state just uses one placard for everyone or has some kind of duel system.

So far I'm at ...

State - How many Placards in operation - what characteristics pertain to second placard

IL - 2 - meter exempt
    OR - 2 - WheelChair only
    WA - 1

Only 47 to go

California
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs%2Fbrochur...cts/ffvr07.htm

• Permanent parking placard for permanent disabilities. Valid for two years and expires on June 30 of every odd-numbered year.
    • Temporary parking placard for temporary disabilities. Valid for up to 180 days (six months) or the date noted by your qualifying licensed medical professional on the application, whichever time frame is less and cannot be renewed more than six times consecutively.
    • Travel parking placard for California residents who currently have a permanent DP parking placard or DP or DV license plates. Valid for 30 days from the date DMV issues it. (You can have only one placard. This placard give you a second one on a temporary basis, i.e., park you van in an airport car park while you fly to a different part of the state to vacation and want to be able to use handicapped parking in your vacation location).
    • Travel parking placard for nonresidents who plan to travel in California and have a permanent disability and/or DV plates. Valid for up to 90 days or the date noted by your licensed medical professional on the application, whichever time frame is less.
    • License Plates for permanent disabilities. Registration and license fees paid annually.
    Last edited by gjnl; 07-24-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Indiana has one type of disabled placard not including the temporary one. Or at least as far as I'm aware, since when I renewed my placard I was given the "does not expire" placard I wonder if all the ones with expiration dates are just from before the switch, or if there may be another type of placard. But there is definitely not a wheelchair only placard.

I'm personally against a division such as "wheelchair only" placard, but would like to see stricter laws surrounding who gets and needs a placard. I have heard suggestions for extra wheelchair parking at the back of a lot, where the space for ramps etc for powerchairs would be available and people would not be trapped and would definitely support that, however knowing it would not be applicable for all powerchair users.

As someone with a disability that is progressive and so I didn't go from able bodied to wheelchair, and with some ability to walk still I'm quite aware of the fact I'm not the only person that is much LESS disabled in my wheelchair than walking. I have different needs, if I'm walking the proximity to the store is my main priority for the shortest distance to be able to get in and into a store scooter. If I'm in my wheelchair, I can handle further distance however need to keep in mind space to unload and reload my chair, if the parking lot is uphill to the entrance of the store etc. Once I get my power assist device my needs will change yet again, where distance and uphill is no longer an issue but not being hit by a car unseen still is as well as weather due to heat and my heart condition. I'm only an example of one single person with changing needs due to my disability, and not even taking into consideration here the way my abilities fluctuate from day to day. It would be impossible to divide up parking for everyone based on needs, and I not only don't believe but know from personal experience that just using a wheelchair doesn't make someone more disabled than the next individual. There are plenty of people here with SCI and incomplete injuries that are able to walk with bracing and crutches, not using chairs at all or only using chairs part time. In some of these cases it has nothing to do with ability, and the individual would have more ability in a wheelchair but chooses not to.

Again its merely my opinion, but I don't think splitting up the disabled community is the answer but drawing the line thickly and legally between those who need placards and those who do not. And getting the placards out of the hands of those who have weedled them from Drs, stolen them, borrowed them, etc as well as stiff penalties (ENFORCED) for those who do not even have a placard. I think it was an instagram photo, but recently saw online a photo of a vehicle with no placard and a wheelchair wheel sitting on the dash and the caption said how a spare wheelchair wheel worked in place of the disabled placard. It was most likely a joke but really bothered me. As has already been pointed out, anyone could buy and use a wheelchair if they wanted to. In fact we already see this sort of abuse at airports and theme parks where people rent or bring wheelchairs that they don't need just to access disabled benefits. Just being in a wheelchair alone doesn't make someone more disabled. We have everything from those with temporary injuries or relapsing and remitting symptoms such as MS to severe heart and lung disorders to quadriplegics all in manual chairs. The needs are so vastly different.
    Last edited by ~Lin; 07-23-2014 at 11:16 PM.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

http://showyou.com/v/y-FOKKPJzr-4w/b...aign=app+share

This is the last word on this debate; hard-hitting, graphic and really nails the point. Enjoy....

Yes! A "powerful point" he made! Hilarious!

All the best,
    GJ

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    And they wonder how they lost Suez.

Oh god. Thats awful. And I'm shocked that the woman thinks its ok for him to use his wifes badge just because he's shopping for her. That makes no sense... HE doesn't need it to shop, SHE does, so if he is shopping for her... Its not needed, because she isn't with him!

But no, its all about the biscuit. Not the parking. You can only get the biscuit there, so whatever it takes to get the biscuit! (prime example of the selfishness)
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    And they wonder how they lost Suez.
    An interview like this could have taken place (and probably does daily) on almost any call in talk show in America. The British don't hold a monopoly on the sometimes inane, pointless, babble heard on talk radio. I'm not trying to pick a fight or put you down, just wanted to make that point in response.

All the best,
    GJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    An interview like this could have taken place (and probably does daily) on almost any call in talk show in America. The British don't hold a monopoly on the sometimes inane, pointless, babble heard on talk radio. I'm not trying to pick a fight or put you down, just wanted to make that point in response.

All the best,
    GJ
    But GJ, it's the minty one...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury