Thread: What to do with a failled surgery

What to do with a failled surgery

Hey Everyone, I have been gone for a while, sorry. Life has it's way's.
    Back in '06 I had a Baclofen Pump put in. It worked wonders for me for 8 years. I just got it replaced last month, COOL another 8 years of no spasms. I went and got checked out for the one month recheck. well in this past month I have had some serious drainage. This late time was Sunday night and went to ER in this town and they just put a clostomy? bag on me and today I was told I have an infection. I was told it has to come out and I won't be able to ha another put in ....... How bad will the withdrawls be? he is taking it out Monday. and script me Baclofen tabs 20mg 4 times a day, and Lorazapam 2mg.. I am set at 750mics/day on my pump. What am I about to face?

If it is infected, yes it has to be removed. Where was it placed; at this same hospital? Is your surgeon on staff there? Do they do a lot of these? It is possible that you may be able to have one placed again in the future, but only after this one is removed and the infection completely healed. The dosage of oral baclofen prescribed for you sounds about right...generally the oral dose is 100X the intrathecal dose. Have they already turned your pump off? If so, you should be on these meds already, and not wait until the pump is removed.

(KLD)

yes, they do place quite a few there. I have mine in the left abdominal. no he has not turned it off yet.

I agree with KLD - it is very important that you get on the oral meds as soon as the pump is turned off.
    I had a baclofen pump from 1995-2000 and 2000-2006. I was really happy with it, but when they implanted a new one in 2006 I developed a staph infection and had to have the pump and catheter removed. They didn't get me onto the correct dosage of oral baclofen while I was in the hospital and I did go into withdrawal - it was a nightmare! (My dose at the time was only 230 mcg day.) Once I was taking the oral meds (20 mg. 4 times a day), it still took a few days to get back to normal.
    The good news is that they were able to implant another pump in 2009 and I'm doing great with it so far. I hope your surgery and recovery go well - my prayers are with you.
    Linda