Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prison violence?

Prison violence?

I got a question...we all know that muscles atrophy given disuse. In prisons, you got a whole bunch of people that work out ALL day then beat each other up. Why not just add something to the food that atrophies their muscles? safer for the staff. safer for each other.

Why not remove the weights and only give them a small enclosed area to walk in circles to get sun? They need books, teachers for those who are non-violent offenders so they can get a job when released and for the rest--3 hots and a cot and books.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I think they should be given an exercise bike that generates the electricity that they use in their cell.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Scott!
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Seriously, doesn't it seem like as a society we create our own problems?

In Georgia, weight machines were removed from prisons and given to area high schools. Large fans were installed and the air conditioners are turned off and removed. For breakfast, they have powdered eggs and grits. For lunch, they have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a bologna sandwich and that's it. I didn't ask them about dinner but I assume it is like a French restaurant... not! They are incarcerated for "crimes" they committed against society and are treated as such. Most are drug "mules" and users and are non-violent and are on work details.

I can give more on this topic and what we are doing locally to help these guys after release but have to go to work right now.

Millard
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by JakeHalsted View Post
    I got a question...we all know that muscles atrophy given disuse. In prisons, you got a whole bunch of people that work out ALL day then beat each other up. Why not just add something to the food that atrophies their muscles? safer for the staff. safer for each other.
    The vast majority of people in prison are going to get out one day and live in your community. The way we treat our prison population is shameful, there is no attempt a rehabilitation and most come out worse than they go in. Unless you are a cho-mo or a rapist then people in prison should be treated humanely, if for no other reason that when they get out they might end up living next door to you.

the american judicial system is a for profit industry. i think there a huge number of people in jail or prison should probably be given an apology and a bus ticket
    i am a native born citizen by the way, with ancestory all the way back to the revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. dude View Post
    the american judicial system is a for profit industry. i think there a huge number of people in jail or prison should probably be given an apology and a bus ticket
    i am a native born citizen by the way, with ancestory all the way back to the revolution.
    Bus ticket to where, and apology? for what. My ex brother in law, a previous extreme liberal went to law school and started out in criminal defense. Now he is a right wing radical who believes they get too much. He said the average convicted felon has more than a dozen arrests that while real and sometimes violent do not meet the criteria for prosecution or are pleaded down. He is now an underpaid but brilliant prosecutor.

rehabilitation a joke, for two reasons, first societal where we don't retrain. Second the criminal. I slogged away for my whole life to earn my keep. In 15 minutes I could roll 10 wall street thieves and walk away with 20K and probably 200K in watches that I could sell for 10-15%. If that's what I did why work. Drug dealers ...easy work extremely high profits.

Do you know drugs account for ~80 of violent crime against people. Give them their drugs for free let 'em OD and sweep them up in the morning like Switzerland, eliminates the drug dealers and their turf wars and the crimes perpetrated to fund the drug habits of the addicts literally kill 2 birds with one stone

In most of Europe you sacrifice your equal rights when in prison. Some prisons are tough, others where the thieving bankers who fucked the whole country go are nicer than where many of the folks they screwed live.

You live in Thailand, what are the prisons like there? (I was there I know) I'd give them a bus ticket to a Texas, Thai or typical Mexican jail.

rant over, fuck 'em

my take

ket

This is a subject t where i can make an educated comment. I worked as a correctional nurse for almost 12 years before my "accident". 5 in Texas and 7 in NM. In Texas work is manditory, the food is adequate and the discipline is firm. In New Mexico the liberals ran the system so things were much more lax for the inmates. Lack of funding resulted in fewer aminities for the inmates though. I did have one psych doctor in Texas with his own "cocktail" that kept his patients very sedated. I was never considered a friend of the inmates but i was fair. TBH, there were a few that would have killed me if given a chance. I was always fair though. I never judged anyone based on their crime, but on how they treated me and the other staff. Those society deems the worst, Chester and murders, we're usually my best patients. I couldn't stand the gang bangers and druggies. They would stab you in the back, literally, in a heartbeat. I believe we should reward those inmates that follow the rules and punish those who don't. "Firm, fair and consistent " was always my motto.

Another thing, you don't want to go to prison if you have a SCI. I had a special connection with these guys having been paralyzed before, but we just weren't equipped to deal with many of their needs. It broke my heart to see what they went through.

A part of me died when I learned I wouldn't be able to return to my job after my SCI. I loved being a correctional nurse and I am proud of the years of service I gave to my inmates.