Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: Can you change the for bearing on a Tilite?

  1. #21
    I think I found the s/n for my wheelchair. Is it just a 5 digit number Grommet? I found the ebay listing by going to feedback, it was exactly 2 years ago I bought the chair, it says in the title of the listing s/n 47004. Is it just a 5 digit number for these chairs, somehow that sounds too short, but then again I'm use to quickie chairs. Maybe that's just the last 5 digits and that's all I need? I want to get the right fork ordered. I suspect it does not come with the bearings so guess I'll have to put them in.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

  2. #22
    Run the number on Tilite's site serial lookup page. Pop in your number and see if it matches your chair.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,813
    What everyone above has said will exactly happen. If this kind of issue is not taken care of as soon as possible , rather than waiting, you will continue to wear and damage all of the other components next to it. This slight bit of wear, IS what is creating your wobble. Let the wobble keep going and it will become bigger and bigger and those components wear more and more and the speed the wear will increase, simply because the tolerances are growing and growing on each wobble.

  4. #24
    Senior Member grommet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,691
    Mine is 5 digits, I don't know if they all are. Years ago I bought a demo Top End chair and though we (me and tech) searched all over that chair, we couldn't find a serial number anywhere. I just had to live with it and it did cause some problems. Very glad to hear you found your number. They should be stamped on a metal tab that's attached to the chair if the number is going to be so important - my early morning opinion (it's 5:30am here).

    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I think I found the s/n for my wheelchair. Is it just a 5 digit number Grommet? I found the ebay listing by going to feedback, it was exactly 2 years ago I bought the chair, it says in the title of the listing s/n 47004. Is it just a 5 digit number for these chairs, somehow that sounds too short, but then again I'm use to quickie chairs. Maybe that's just the last 5 digits and that's all I need? I want to get the right fork ordered. I suspect it does not come with the bearings so guess I'll have to put them in.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Mine is 5 digits, I don't know if they all are. Years ago I bought a demo Top End chair and though we (me and tech) searched all over that chair, we couldn't find a serial number anywhere. I just had to live with it and it did cause some problems. Very glad to hear you found your number. They should be stamped on a metal tab that's attached to the chair if the number is going to be so important - my early morning opinion (it's 5:30am here).
    Thanks, ya I know, the sticker can peel off very easily if the chair gets wet and my chair gets wet a lot as its sitting on docks while I'm out boating.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

  6. #26
    Senior Member TiLite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I know this has been discussed but a search didn't turn up a thread for me.

    I want to know if it is possible to change the fork bearing (not caster) on my Tilite TR. I had heard that it was press-fit in to the frame so the chair needed to be sent to the company to have it replaced. Eek!

    Can I just drop the fork and find the bearing above the stem and swap it out?


    The reason for wanting to change out the bearing is an increasing nochyness in the rotation. I can hear and feel it.

    Advice?
    I don't know if you got this squared away over the Fourth but we would recommend that you purchase a new fork or take your chair to a dealer. The bearing is inserted on top of a snap ring and we uses pneumatic presses to insert the bearings and it is not something that can be done easily in the field. Some dealers are able to do this depending on the dealer. I'd start there.
    TiLite. The Ultimate Ride.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by TiLite View Post
    I don't know if you got this squared away over the Fourth but we would recommend that you purchase a new fork or take your chair to a dealer. The bearing is inserted on top of a snap ring and we uses pneumatic presses to insert the bearings and it is not something that can be done easily in the field. Some dealers are able to do this depending on the dealer. I'd start there.
    ?????????

    Lame.

    There is just so much wrong with this reply. First time I've ever been embarrassed to own a TiLite.

    Please have a mod move this to www.epicfail.com

    Well, gotta go. Need to bury my snap ring pliers just in case TiLite gets a search warrant...

  8. #28
    Senior Member grommet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,691
    I worked on the bearing, putting lube in to it. It is performing better now. I don't know how hard it is to remove the bearings at home but I am surprised that the solution may be replacing the fork. If that's the case then that's how it is, Tilite has made me a great chair and maybe there's a design strategy that means the part will last longer and perform better but would need replacement rather than service. I don't know. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

    I don't have the money to replace parts on the chair right now, I'll have to nurse her along if troubles arise. So far this is the only issue I've had come up and the lube is helping.

    Quote Originally Posted by TiLite View Post
    I don't know if you got this squared away over the Fourth but we would recommend that you purchase a new fork or take your chair to a dealer. The bearing is inserted on top of a snap ring and we uses pneumatic presses to insert the bearings and it is not something that can be done easily in the field. Some dealers are able to do this depending on the dealer. I'd start there.

  9. #29
    Don't try it. After 41 years of fixing my own chairs thiis Tilite has been the worst for bearing changing. Luckily I had a second chair to transfer into and take the fork up to a dealer in Vancouver. They worked on it for an hour before I got to go home.

    Tilite has really gone downhill Since Marty and the boys started it up. Back then customer service was like Icon is now. Now they are no better than Quickie as far as customer service and taking care of problem. Sure a Tilite rep. is here on the forum but again, all he suggests is getting another fork. How many dealers actually carry Tilite parts? They have to order; we can't even order it ourselves. According to their site as far as ordering parts by us:Welcome to TiLite's TiPro Components E-Store! You may use this resource to find all the components TiLite offers. Existing TiLite providers may use this E-Store to quote and purchase their parts needs. Our full parts manual may still be viewed in PDF format by clicking here Parts Manual .
    If you are a TILITE END USER please contact your dealer or provider for your TiLite parts needs. So basically it says we can find the parts needed but no way can we buy it; WTH.

    Sorry for the rant but Tilite is not the corp it used to be. I like their chairs , and am ordering another just because Lasher and the others don't take insurance, but man what's going to happen with the quality after Permobil buying them out; probably like the quality went for Top End did when Invacare bought them out.

  10. #30
    I agree with Stubby, changing a bearing isn't rocket science, even if there's a snap ring retaining it.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-17-2011, 08:07 PM
  2. Help with Bearing Selection, Please
    By Jcripz in forum Equipment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-08-2010, 11:10 AM
  3. Bearing spacing
    By sam10685 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 12:13 AM
  4. Need help regarding spinergy lx bearing
    By jashoot in forum Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2009, 10:42 AM
  5. Bearing Change
    By patd in forum Equipment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-30-2006, 06:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •