Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Can you change the for bearing on a Tilite?

Patrick, I really appreciate you comments. You give me something to think about. I don't know what's going to happen with Tilite. I love my TR2, the best chair I've had. If the company changes, I don't see how there's anything we can do. What I mean is, where else do we go? I agree with you about Icon customer service, they treated me like family. Roho has been really good too. Steve Holub at D's Locks, he will support you forever and stay on the phone answering questions until you don't have anymore.

I .. and I'm sorry to say this, I don't like calling Tilite customer service. They almost hang up on me when I have more than one question or I stop speaking for a few seconds, like they have something else to move on to. They don't, I'm a customer. I never waste their time, calling just to chat them up. I have serious questions I have been researching on my own and finally needed the to call them. I feel like I am bothering them when I call. I don't feel that way at all with some other companies. But Tilite makes great chairs and if they stay the same in quality and I can get the money, I will buy again. For me, their chairs are just that much better than anything else.

With money especially short for me right now, if I do need to change out my fork bearings I don't know if I'd have a choice but to do it myself. The risk is huge since I don't have a backup chair but sometimes necessity trumps and I like Stubby's confidence, I've copied his instructions. Money can make things easier, until then it's sometimes down to doing what you have to.

19 years ago I picked the wrong hobby, I had no idea how much this was going to cost ;-)

I replaced both upper and lower fork bearings in my Tilite Aero with no real problem. I thought I had a problem with the fork with the end play issue I was having but it turns out that the stud mainly on the right side that holds the fork to the frame mount has some wiggle in it and that's what is causing my issues. So I've been in contact with both Sportaid and Southwest Medical to try and get a new pair of these jewels, neither got back to me today, whoever gets back first gets the sale. This is generally how I do it these days in contacting multiple suppliers for parts as customer service is so screwball everywhere that I figure I have a better chance of getting served by talking with more people. I guess worse comes to worse I'll take an arc welder to the stud and then it will not move anymore. Like Patrick said, it is really hard to get parts for these bad boy's. I would rather just be able to order direct from the manufactures who hopefully have someone who knows what they are doing, not some secretary that does not have a clue.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I replace bearings my self. I tap them out. Then I slowly tap them in with a rubber mallet. Or a bolt with a washer a both ends and a nut and slowly press them in that way

How do you tap them out, what are you using to tap them, a punch at the edge of the bearing?

Quote Originally Posted by randomryan007 View Post
    I replace bearings my self. I tap them out. Then I slowly tap them in with a rubber mallet. Or a bolt with a washer a both ends and a nut and slowly press them in that way

Yes a punch on the edge of the bearing on the inside

Or a screwdriver, that's what I used, it's pretty easy, at least mine came out no problem.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I've had problems using screwdrivers - slipping off the bearing edge and into the seal. I saw in Toto's video he used something that looked like a grommet set (punch) and I thought that was an awfully good idea for removing caster bearings. Fork bearings are different of course but I wonder what tool would be easiest for me to use when the time comes. Anyhow, thanks Ryan and Curt for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Or a screwdriver, that's what I used, it's pretty easy, at least mine came out no problem.