Thread: Need some advice related to mitrofanoff

Need some advice related to mitrofanoff

Hi everyone, I am a 22 year old male who had to get a mitrofanoff at age 13 because of birth complications (Cloacal Extrophy) resulting in lack of the necessary pelvic muscles to be continent.

Anyway, obviously my mitrofanoff is not new and I mostly don't have problems with it. But today I was putting the tube in and I felt a bit of resistance and then some slight nausea. I pulled the tube out and there was some blood in the end but I didn't really think that much of it. However, later on, diluted, watery, pink blood started leaking out of the mitrofanoff site. It's been about 3 or so hours since I noticed it and it's still coming out. On top of that, I have some pain radiating from that general area where my mitrofanoff is. It's not really bad pain, it feels similar to when you have sharp gas pain and is about the same severity.

This has me a little bit worried so I was just wondering if any of you could guess what happened and if I should see a doctor.

Thank you guys and girls for your help

I just realized, I should mention that the lining of my mitrofanoff is made of intestine, not appendix.
    Last edited by violadude; 07-04-2014 at 05:19 AM.

If the bleeding is continuing and not ceasing you should medical care today as you could have perforated the lining of your mitrofanoff

pbr

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    If the bleeding is continuing and not ceasing you should medical care today as you could have perforated the lining of your mitrofanoff

pbr
    Thank you for your advice.

If I have perforated the lining, what would result from that? Could it lead to something a lot worse? Will it heal on its own or do you need to get stitches for it?

Update: That pink, diluted blood stuff was coming out all night, but now a blood clot came out and that appears to have made it stop oozing pink blood/water.

I just had this happen this morning while cathing my daughter. She has a mitro and I got a pink urine traveling down the cath. I haven't seen that before so it freaked both of us out. Yesterday we were talking about getting her tested for a UTI because of all the extra "junk" traveling out with her urine. I just searched here quick to see if anyone had the same experience and saw this new thread. We are heading to her general doc for the UTI test and I am calling her urologist's office. Do bladder or kidney stones cause something like this? IDK

I can update here if I get some info you can use but I think you are going to have to head to the doc.

She did test positive for a rather raging UTI. Her urologist was not concerned about the blood in the urine and thought we aggravated the bladder wall. The cath for the UTI test sample had no blood in it.

Hope you are seeing a doc for your condition Violadude.