Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paying for care

I understand what you mean; this is unsettling to say the least.

I wish I was full C6 function. I know of a few C6 quads who do it all by themselves. Have you seen the movie Murderball? The main character, Scott Hogsett, is a C6. I lived on my own for 7 years just having caregivers come in the morning for a few hours and 2 hours at night. In the afternoon I would have sandwich Wrapped in plastic wrap set in the fridge door where I could get to it. I'd just roll over to it it carefully get it on my lap, bring it over to my desk, unwrap it and chow down. Their would be a couple cups of water sit there so I always have something to drink and I loved it. I started getting seizures recently which has taken me down to needing at least 12 hour assistance to make sure I stay alive but not even not going to last forever. I have every intention of getting out on my own again maybe with a roommate just next time. Do you have wrist function for grip?
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    I wish I was full C6 function. I know of a few C6 quads who do it all by themselves. Have you seen the movie Murderball? The main character, Scott Hogsett, is a C6. I lived on my own for 7 years just having caregivers come in the morning for a few hours and 2 hours at night. In the afternoon I would have sandwich Wrapped in plastic wrap set in the fridge door where I could get to it. I'd just roll over to it it carefully get it on my lap, bring it over to my desk, unwrap it and chow down. Their would be a couple cups of water sit there so I always have something to drink and I loved it. I started getting seizures recently which has taken me down to needing at least 12 hour assistance to make sure I stay alive but not even not going to last forever. I have every intention of getting out on my own again maybe with a roommate just next time. Do you have wrist function for grip?
    i can move my wrists- my injury initially affected me to C4 but during therapy it went back to C6.

Sorry to hear about your seizures-hope they get better.

We live in Fla. My son was in skilled nursing after rehab (he is C6 with wrists and some finger movement returning at 2 years out). With the help of Centers for Independent Living he got home (his), and through Medicaid he gets 62 hours of home health care. It was rough, but it's getting better. Florida now lets you choose your own caregivers (pays 10.76 an hour) and the process is a PITA, but it's better to chose your own caregiver.

Have you considered a roommate in a similar situation to share the expenses?

I'M a c5/c6 comp. All I need is about 4 hours of care on mon wed fri during shower/bowel days 3 hours bowel/shower/stretch/getting dressed and meal prep PLUS 1 HOUR at bed time.
    I have 3 meals a day, I eat at 12-4-8 just heating food in a microwave -
    I have a sp tube that i can empty my own bag with a cripper - a tool that every quad should own http://quadtools.com/ - I also use it for reaching stuff like plates with food etc.
    On TUE/THU/SAT/SUN I only need a caregiver for 3 hours - getting up, food prep, bed time.
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    A number of the agencies that provide home care workers have been telling me they require a 3 hour commitment now. I always split my time 4 hours morning and evening. I hire one caregiver myself through a agency that just handles the paperwork and max pay is $10.99/ hr. Bad thing is the state pays them almost $20.00/ hr, same as the agencies that pay workers minimum wage or 9/10 per hour. If the crooks would pay $12 or more an hour instead of pocketing half the money or more, there would be less turnover and better help.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 11-09-2014 at 07:40 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Corruption everywhere...
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09