Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paying for care

Arrow Paying for care

Hello all,
    Don't know if anyone will read this old thread but i hope so...
    I was injured in 07, C6 complete. Want to talk about paying for my care. Currently have private duty 24hrs but my $$ won't last forever. I live in Fl. Have been researching ALF's. Any other options?

Why do you need 24 hour care? Are you on a ventilator? Many people at C6 do not need any attendant care, while some can do with 2-4 hours daily. Did you have a inpatient rehab program?

What things can you not do that you need to have an attendant do for you? Why do you need an attendant during the time you are sleeping? How are you funding your attendant care right now, and is it from an agency or private hire?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Why do you need 24 hour care? Are you on a ventilator? Many people at C6 do not need any attendant care, while some can do with 2-4 hours daily. Did you have a inpatient rehab program?

What things can you not do that you need to have an attendant do for you? Why do you need an attendant during the time you are sleeping? How are you funding your attendant care right now, and is it from an agency or private hire?

(KLD)
    i did have rehab..
    i need 24hr care as i'm in a power chair and cannot transfer w/o help, etc..
    currently have private hire.

How long ago was your rehab? Was it in a facility with a specialty in spinal cord-injured rehab? Just wondering if an updated in-patient or out-patient service by PT and OT would focus on a couple of self-care tasks that would enable you to cut down on hours of attendant care?
    Also, does your power chair have the feature of seat power adjust up and down, to facilitate gravity transfers?

Again, most people at your level, even using a power chair and unable to independent transfer, so not need 24 hour care.

Was your insurance workers comp or did you get a big settlement? I know of no state funded (ie Medicaid associated) attendant funding program that would pay for 24 hour care for someone with a C6 injury who is not on a ventilator. Assisted living is not cheap, and you may still have to hire additional help there for such things as bowel and bladder care, plus you still would be living in an institution and having to abide by their rules. You would do much better to reorganize your schedule and care needs so that you can get them done with someone coming into your home for 2-4 hours in the AM and another 2-4 hours in the evening. This can include bowel, bladder, bathing, dressing/undressing, ROM, etc. as well as meal prep. Many people have their AM person fix them a cold lunch that they can get out of the frig themselves. Most people also do not get their help from an agency, but instead make private arrangements (pay directly), which saves a significant amount of money.

Do you drive? Do you have an accessible van set up for driving from your chair? Can you access your house exits (ramps, door opening, etc.) by yourself? Have you looked into a turning bed/mattress so no one has to turn you at night? Do you have a phone you can use in bed to call for help in an emergency? Do you have other access problems within your home? If so, you would be making a better investment in your future by spending the money to correct these problems that paying for help to work around them for you.

(KLD)

daybyday28, you indicate that you have 24 hour private duty care. Are you referring to private duty RNs? If so, you are really, really over the top as far as C-6 quads' care is concerned. What do those people do for 24 hours a day?
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I get the feeling that our original poster just got scared to death… I was injured in 2007 and have enough arm movements to operate my computer mouse with my right hand and Press separate buttons with my left hand. That's about it. I had care through an agency 8 AM to 9 PM. I've begun to imagine a time where I have significantly less coverage. I truly don't need people around me that often Except for companionship (tell you the truth). I've been living at home with my mom and dad The entire time. I never ask my father to do anything for me, as my personal care is ultimately up to me. I don't know why I'm saying all of this. Anyway…

In the near future I'm going to be moving out on my own in the next couple of years and have been forcing myself to face all of the fears that would go along with living by myself.I would be interested in your answers to SCI nurse's questions as they also pertain to me as well!

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    How long ago was your rehab? Was it in a facility with a specialty in spinal cord-injured rehab? Just wondering if an updated in-patient or out-patient service by PT and OT would focus on a couple of self-care tasks that would enable you to cut down on hours of attendant care?
    Also, does your power chair have the feature of seat power adjust up and down, to facilitate gravity transfers?
    Rehab was in 07 at shephard center. my chair doe not go up, only back tilt. I have limited use of arms/hands but I do what I can with them.

dbd, I am very concerned about your well being and quality of life over the long haul. I have spent a lot of time working with attorneys and SCIs doing long-term medical cost analyses and life care plans. I know that if money and care are not carefully managed a great deal gets wasted and does not last nearly as long as it should. When that happens individuals are left to depend on Medicaid or other minimally supportive fund sources. As a result the quality of their life drops dramatically. CC members can give you useful tips and other guidance if you are willing to provide a detailed picture of your living and care arrangements and your functionality. We are not here to be critical or judgmental. If you feel uncomfortable discussing related issues openly in this Forum you can communicate privately using the personal messaging mode available.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    daybyday28, you indicate that you have 24 hour private duty care. Are you referring to private duty RNs? If so, you are really, really over the top as far as C-6 quads' care is concerned. What do those people do for 24 hours a day?
    i have CNA's doing 12hr shifts. they help get me get dressed, hoyer me to my chair, assist w/meals, bowl/bladder care, drive me to errands,etc.