Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24" Tubes on a 25" Wheel rim

24" Tubes on a 25" Wheel rim

I've only just bought a new wheelchair with 25" wheels which I've never had. All my previous wheelchairs used 24" tires. I was at a bike shop looking for replacement 25" tubes for when the inevitable happened and the guy behind the counter dressed like he was warming up for the Tour de France tells me he has never had 25" wheels in his store let alone tubes or tires for them. He tells me I shouldn't have any issues using 24" tubes on a 25" wheel? Is this correct? or is this dude just blowing air? I've called about 50 stores to try and find tubes to no avail. I didnt know these things were like platinum rare. Should I try 24" tubes?
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
    "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

Depends on the tire. If they're wide, low pressure (< 60 PSI) tires, the 24" tubes will work just fine. If you have narrow, high pressure tires (say 25-559s) then you would use a 26" x 1" high pressure bicycle tubes. In inches, bicycle tires are classified by the nominal overall diameter of the inflated tire, rather than the size of the bead/rim. Both 559s and 590s are classified as 26" by the Boys in Spandex. A bit of an inexact science.

You also need to remember that wheelchair 25" (559) wheels are equivalent to 26" (also 559) mountain/road bike wheels. The 24" tubes will work fine.
    http://www.adaptivesportsforums.com/

I love sports! Wheelchair Basketball, Sled Hockey, Mono-Skiing, and Handcycling.

24 x 1 3/8 would be a little wide, I've done it but a tight fit. 24 x 1 or 26 x 1 will work fine in a 24 x 1 tire.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I am no expert, but I would say you are playing a game for something unexpected to happen. Only my suggestion is use what is correct. Stretching the rubber you are asking for something unexpected to happened.

If I go 26" tubes will the high pressure be too much for the tire and push it off the rim?

"The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

Blog Entries
    The 24" tube is designed to easily expand to work in a 25" tire.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    If I go 26" tubes will the high pressure be too much for the tire and push it off the rim?
    No. The tire pressure is determined by the structure of the tire , not the tube, and the design pressure will be labeled on the sidewall. the only difference in tubes is that the rubber in tubes for narrow, higher pressure tires is not as elastic as in those designed for lower pressures. Helps to prevent failures due to wrinkling, bead pinching, and general hernias. Not including road hazards, a quality, properlyinstalled tube will last through several sets of tires... Although it's prudent to put new tubes in new tires as a precaution.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubby View Post
    Helps to prevent failures due to wrinkling, bead pinching, and general hernias. Not including road hazards, a quality, properlyinstalled tube will last through several sets of tires... Although it's prudent to put new tubes in new tires as a precaution.
    You would get what you've described above if you installed a larger tube on a smaller rim correct?

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

Name:  tire specs.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  74.5 KB

What is the deal here? Both say the spec is 25 x 1 but the spec in brackets is different.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )