Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work and Bathroom stuff

Work and Bathroom stuff

So this is the 2nd time I've evidently ate something at lunch which caused me to have an irregular BM.. Luckily both times have happened with less than an hour of work left in the day. First time I jumped on the toilet and tried to take care of it, still had a huge mess... Today I left early to go home and deal with the mess.

I'm going to talk to my HR lady tomorrow, and see what they say. Is it a reasonable accomodation to just bail out and leave if something like this happens? I for sure don't want to use PTO or bonus hours anytime this might happen, especially if at like 9am, cuz it'd be a solid 2 hours or so away in the middle of the day just to get cleaned up, plus always the potential my guts aren't settled and it happens again.

How do most employers deal with stuff like this?
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

Same thing has happened many times to me at work. I normally tell them I have a repairman or something and need to run home for an hour or so. My work is pretty easy going about coming and going however. Never told anyone what was really going on.

I have shat my pants at work on a few occasions. I normally have a pretty regular bowel routine, but sh*t happens. Are you hourly or salary? I'm salary, so the rule is if I work at all in a day, I get paid regular time for the entire day (8 hours worth). If I am in the office and crap my pants, I just send my boss an email telling him I had an issue to deal with and had to go home. My boss doesn't ask questions. I think he knows that he doesn't want to know the answers when it comes to me having to suddenly leave early or showing up late.

I'm hourly. I have no problem coming in early or staying late, but it's just something that I need to deal with, and I for sure don't need to sit around in it all day stinking up the place..lol
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

Just tell the truth - you'll find most employers will understand. What are they going to penalize you for shitting yourself with no cure for spinal cord injury? Reasonable Accommodation until they come up with a cure.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Well, maybe not the whole truth! I would think you could just say you don't feel well and need to go home. If you get sick leave, take it. If not, get docked in pay! Your employer does not need to know all the dirty details, and like nayr said most don't really want to know!!

I used to work on the 3rd floor of the courthouse and I went to my boss to let them know that a part of living w/a sci was the occasional bladder or bowel accident and what should I do if this occurs during work?

what reasonable accommodation will be made to allow me to avoid any un necessary embarrassment if an accident occurs at work? I let them know that public toilets are not accessible for me to do a bowel routine and i ask if its ok for me to leave w/o personally notifying my supervisor and hr dept. and that I would call them once I got into my van to let them know what has happened. in the event they didn't believe me they could come to my van to verify I had an accident.

I think what you proposed was very reasonable. Preferably they will have a private location on premises that you can go to, but I have no idea about exact laws.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I would explicitly tell my boss occasionally you will have to leave immediately without alot of notice. That's what I do. I also give them twice the time back on weekends. It's called mutual accommodation. Given the amount of weirdos in my office, ABs that defefcate in the handicapped stall at work on company time...blathering on their cell phones...I could make a certain amount of noise, but I don't, I shut up and deal with it. It's funny though, I don't defecate in the office...and I'm in a wheelchair. Why can't those AB people do bowel programs of their own, schedule their lives? Adults go one time of day, that's what my folks always told me growing up. And for 10 years of work before I got hurt, I probably did that at work, oh 1 time?

i am salary, and when accidents happen, I just tell manager I am not feeling well and need to go home. I never had any issues. Maybe happens once or twice a year.