Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Potassium Channel Blockers to Restore Impulse Conduction in SCI ? Dr. Riyi Shi

Thumbs up Potassium Channel Blockers to Restore Impulse Conduction in SCI ? Dr. Riyi Shi

Dr. Shi discusses the potential of PCB?s as a treatment option to restore axonal conduction and gain recovery of function.

Video Link:

Fampyra is a potassium channel blocker - or so I thought.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Fampyra is a potassium channel blocker - or so I thought.
    It is. I spoke to Dr Shi at the W2W in Boston about his work and it sounded like he had found an even better way to work the potassium route.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Sue, is he trying to make it available, is his testing complete? I can't get anyone to prescribe 4ap.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

He got a 70% increase in functionality with Peg (polyethylene glycol) and 4ap, over 4ap alone. I assume he has to inject the peg into the epidural space.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

May I ask where you picked up that statistic please?
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

He states it in the video and has a graph for the result.

I am intrigued by this presentation and have watched it several times to make sure I understand what Dr Shi has done so far with this combination treatment of 4-AP and PEG -- but still feel I've missed something. At the end of the presentation he describes ex vivo studies of synergistic therapy (PEG + 4-AP) for injured axons but don't think he specifies whether animal or human tissue was studied in this case.
    He says that the results of this study indicate that this synergistic treatment looks promising for restoring axon conduction. However, his presentation ends there -- he does not go on to talk about what is next, or indeed if there have been any, even limited, trials with live animals or humans. Both drugs are in clinical use. What's to stop Dr Shi or other researchers from proceeding with the next step? Also, as both 4-AP and PEG are approved drugs, what's to stop doctors and patients from trying this combination therapy?
    Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks mamadavid!

The same questions puzzling me too!?

With Incomplete injuries certain signal "Enhancer" would do great deal in rehab & recovering process, for sure!

Channel blockers as 4AP can help but they can affect other body functions (heart rate) apparently...not sure.... never tested
    By my understanding - PEG is glycol - physical barrier ...kind of cream , liquid insulation - not medication - I think - that works if is infused with with 4AP.

Now in rats model they have situation with semi-acute injury and all access to recently damaged places is done surgically.
    If established as viable solution for neuro transmitting improvement, combination of 4AP (or any other channel blocker) with PEG - How can be delivered to damaged area in humans?
    How long it will last before dissolved by the body?
    Another question - with chronicle incomplete injuries - will scar formed be on the way of this PEG and 4AP solution?
    Unless area of damaged myelin is not necessarily ALL under the scar tissue and it's wider than directly damaged tissue as in his presentation Dr. Shi highlighted.

Does anyone know:
    Is anything else available or known so far to enhance existing weak signal in incomplete injury?
    also
    How 4AP can be used @ best possible way to increase chances in rehab but not affect overall health?
    Thanks!
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

Yes Comad, I was wondering too about the delivery mode of the PEG.
    I don't know when the presentation was given but assume it was recent.
    Does anyone know more about this?
    Did anyone here attend the presentation?