Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: vans verse car

Hi Andy, Wheelin48 and others,

I watched your video and wondered what would happened if it was raining? I use a power chair and drive from my chair and my time is about 30 seconds. At about 100' away I press the button to open the door and deploy the ramp and my van kneels. At 7.2 MPH, I can quickly get to my van, up the ramp, into my Sure-Locks and I am ready. If it's raining, I just put a plastic bag over my controller to keep it dry. If I go to a parking lot that doesn't have an Handicapped Parking spaces available, I just take two regular spaces so I can't blocked in. I am 6'3" and do not have to duck to enter the van nor worry about head room.

I had a van with a lowered floor with a transfer seat but it was terrible transferring at my height and the heat in SW Georgia. (Tomorrow it is forecast to be 97?)

Good luck with your choice.

Millard

FYI: You can get your manual chair adapted to drive from it using hand controls.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Let me pull out the hard sell, lol.

I clock roughly 1:15 for each entry/egress, with bumbling around included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMrfjmmh96U

(man I look like a retard, lol).

Minivan:

5:25 find the guy who thoughtlessly parked five feet away from you but you still cant get on the ramp
    3:45 beat on the questionable mechanics to get that thing to deploy the ramp
    2:00 wait for ramp to deploy and retract
    250:00 wait for the towtruck to give you a jump after the questionable conversion kills the battery

Ok, I might be exaggerating, but something to think about

thanks for the video very helpfull
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

thanks for the input yall

im sure itll take me awhile to decide im a procrastinator like that
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Have you tried to get your chair in a Challenger? i went car shopping last year and figured I'd have to take a Sawsall to most of them to get my chair in. Everyone seems to be big into giant center consuls. Roofs are low and wide entry sills. I bought an old Hyundai Accent to find something that fit and I don't care if I beat it to death with my chair.
    If you are looking for something fun and easy to get into I would recommend a Mini Cooper. I just bought my second one since my accident. They have a lot of room inside, the seat goes up and down and the S model is like driving a go-cart on steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Minivan:

5:25 find the guy who thoughtlessly parked five feet away from you but you still cant get on the ramp
    3:45 beat on the questionable mechanics to get that thing to deploy the ramp
    2:00 wait for ramp to deploy and retract
    250:00 wait for the towtruck to give you a jump after the questionable conversion kills the battery

Ok, I might be exaggerating, but something to think about
    If it's raining, I put the remote in my mouth and open the ramp as I'm rolling towards it. If you time it right, the ramp is deployed as you roll up to it. I added an auto ignition start so the engine is running while the ramp and sliding door is being operated. As for the thoughtless person that parks too close, well I'll give you that. It does happen maybe once or twice a year. I'm willing to live with that given the convenience one gets with a van. Remember, once you're inside the van rain and snow isn't an issue anymore. There is more maintenance with a van but I'd rather deal with broken auto parts than a broken body. Don't get me wrong, driving a van is boring but I'm too old to give a crap.

[QUOTE=Andy;1737472]Let me pull out the hard sell, lol.

I clock roughly 1:15 for each entry/egress, with bumbling around included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMrfjmmh96U

I transfer in and out similar to you except that I stand my chair up on the footrest with the back (not folded down) leaning against the door of my car while I take the wheels off and put them in the backseat with my cushion. Then I fold the back down and put my chair in the passenger seat similar to you.

I drive a 3 series bmw, so it's probably got about the same amount of room as your car.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

Personally, I'm going to be going for the speedy lift and xl seat for with my minivan. I would have difficulty getting up a ramp independently, since I'm getting a smart drive that could have worked but I didn't want a full conversion going on, and really don't need it. I first saw the speedy lift here. With the xl seat that will save my shoulders from the way I currently pull myself up to the tall van seat. So thats another option over a full conversion with ramp, lowered floor, etc. Doesn't need the space of a ramp either.

Though I've had issues already where when out with my bf my side was blocked in and he had to move his minivan for me to get in, and recently JUST after I got in my vehicle my phone rang, and while I was answering it some guy pulled in halfway across the cross hatching and I would not have had enough room to get into my vehicle had I come out 2 minutes later. It was also the first day I was using this magnet the size of a bumper sticker that says Wheelchair Access Please Do Not Block and goes on the sliding door. Looked like he parked that way to give his wife more room to get out, but how incredibly rude and selfish. He could have just pulled into the space the other direction, I pull in forward or back into a space based on which side I need room.

My first vehicle was a Blazer so I had room in the back for rabbit carriers since I bred and showed rabbits plus could pull a horse trailer. Next vehicle a full sized truck for pulling my horse trailer. Then I had a station wagon, better for the dogs than a regular sized car. Now a minivan for the wheelchair and the dogs. I've never been one to care about if my vehicle is "cool" or what others think about what I'm driving lol. I used to get a lot of looks getting out of my truck, and I slapped a bumper sticker on the back that said "Silly cowboy, trucks are for girls" I do really miss that truck. But I needed the money and didn't need the truck once I'd had to sell my horses.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Rain...yeah, annoying when that's going on. Cut my time down to 45 seconds or so as I'm not so tortoise-like as in the video.

I'm kind of curious now though...how is pushing up a ramp with snow on the tires? Or just a wet ramp/hand rims? Never tried that before

I've got solid tires with basically no tread and don't have any problem in the ramp when wet. Rarely is the ramp itself wet, re: the above replies where we time the ramp coming down as we get there so it is dry, and the wet tires don't slip for me.

Remote Start: GET IT! I added it to mine almost from day 1, I xfer to a 6way, and the inside of a van gets hot. So I remote start it and let it cool for a few minutes before getting in. Also this allows you to keep the van running as you get out too so you can keep it cool (or warm for you northerners), then just shut it off after you're out. Having the engine running is also better for your battery, and it makes everything run quicker.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

I have done cars, full sized vans, and currently a Toyota minivan. The most shoulder protection and convenience using a manual wheelchair was a small, full-sized van with the lift on the rear and power driver's seat. I could park in spaces for cars in most lots so parking was only an issue with some parallel parking spaces. Once inside, I raised the power seat to my wheelchair seat height and simply slid across into the drive's seat. It could be made easier if is set up to drive from the chair. You should do an assessment of your parking situation and other needs an find the best fit. Nothing is perfect but a good setup to fit your environment and functional needs can be much better than the wrong one.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/