Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uber, Lyft and Wheelchair Taxis

Time to reply to this string again . . . recently went to Orlando with the family and the airport there does not allow Uber to do pick ups so I was stuck with regular taxi. Went to taxi line and told I needed to wait 30 minutes for wheelchair accessible vehicle to show up (was told at least 30 minutes) I told them I didn't need that . . . my chair can be broken down and fit in trunk but didn't matter they wanted me to wait anyway. I saw the cab driver and told him it will work . . he didn't want to help put the chair in trunk and only reluctantly agreed when I was persistent. Horrible ride. Let me say again say that I have never had that problem with Uber as they have always been happy to help me out. There is nothing proprietary that Uber is doing that taxi companies could not simply adopt . . .but they refuse, they are lazy and selfish and provide a horrible service. I will never support the effort as described above and I hope everyone on this forum carefully considers the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by hugheswf View Post
    Time to reply to this string again . . . recently went to Orlando with the family and the airport there does not allow Uber to do pick ups so I was stuck with regular taxi. Went to taxi line and told I needed to wait 30 minutes for wheelchair accessible vehicle to show up (was told at least 30 minutes) I told them I didn't need that . . . my chair can be broken down and fit in trunk but didn't matter they wanted me to wait anyway. I saw the cab driver and told him it will work . . he didn't want to help put the chair in trunk and only reluctantly agreed when I was persistent. Horrible ride. Let me say again say that I have never had that problem with Uber as they have always been happy to help me out. There is nothing proprietary that Uber is doing that taxi companies could not simply adopt . . .but they refuse, they are lazy and selfish and provide a horrible service. I will never support the effort as described above and I hope everyone on this forum carefully considers the issue.

Yet another "I got mine" mentality post.

Para who didn't call ahead to make an advance reservation with one of several Orlando airport wheelchair taxi transport companies.

You can transfer into the back of a regular taxi and your wheelchair fits in a car trunk so you didn't have to wait with the family at the taxi stand. O.K. then. Glad it worked out for you.

Trying to extrapolate your personal bitterness over being inconvenienced at an airport into wanting to replace ramp and lift taxis with private vehicles that can't accommodate the less nimble manual chair users and pretty much all of the power chair users is selfish.
    Last edited by 2drwhofans; 08-25-2015 at 10:28 PM.

2drwhofans . . . instead of threatening lawsuits every time did you ever consider calling Uber/Lyft and simply trying to work with them? They want our business . . . they came up with a simple yet elegant way to transport people but we want to screw it up because somehow our community feels slighted. How is the current system working for you? When you call ahead for wheelchair taxi transport is it always available . . . on time . . . is it convenient? I have read a thousand posts on this site all complaining about the existing system. And the crack about "yet another 'I got mine' mentality post" could just as easily be turned around on you . . . so not everything is perfect for you so let's destroy everything else that is good for the wider public. I travel on business all the time and Uber has been nothing short of spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by hugheswf View Post
    2drwhofans . . . instead of threatening lawsuits every time did you ever consider calling Uber/Lyft and simply trying to work with them? They want our business . . . they came up with a simple yet elegant way to transport people but we want to screw it up because somehow our community feels slighted. How is the current system working for you? When you call ahead for wheelchair taxi transport is it always available . . . on time . . . is it convenient? I have read a thousand posts on this site all complaining about the existing system. And the crack about "yet another 'I got mine' mentality post" could just as easily be turned around on you . . . so not everything is perfect for you so let's destroy everything else that is good for the wider public. I travel on business all the time and Uber has been nothing short of spectacular.

"they came up with a simple yet elegant way to transport people but we want to screw it up because somehow our community feels slighted." -
    Well, those who can't access transportation by this method might just be a tad concerned.

"did you ever consider calling Uber/Lyft and simply trying to work with them?" - Yes I have. Access hinges on the disabled passenger being able to transfer to the vehicle without the assistance of the driver and the wheelchair being able to be stored in the trunk. I do not believe that we are the only SCI family for whom this is not a functional possibility.

"I travel on business all the time and Uber has been nothing short of spectacular" = One size does not fit all when it comes to disability. Happy to hear it works for you.

"instead of threatening lawsuits every time" - Not me. My posts were referring to suits that had been filed by others. It's a forum for sharing ideas and information.

"so not everything is perfect for you so let's destroy everything else that is good for the wider public." - C'mon man.

Curious that 2drwhofans did not respond to the following point I made, "How is the current system working for you? When you call ahead for wheelchair taxi transport is it always available . . . on time . . . is it convenient? I have read a thousand posts on this site all complaining about the existing system." I assume you agree that current system does not work well . . . how would denying Uber service make the existing system better? You said that my position was "I got mine mentallity post" which I simply take great offense . . . not at all what i'm doing or what I think. We are part of a large diverse community and every one of us has issues and problems. I am of the mindset the world will never be perfect for us and that we will always have struggles (I mean that is kind of what being disabled is all about . . .we try and make improvements where we can but understanding we can't fix everything). Uber is one example of a wider societal issue that we are all dealing with. You saying that i'm not sensitive to other needs? C'mon man.

[QUOTE=hugheswf;1776898]Curious that 2drwhofans did not respond to the following point I made, "How is the current system working for you? When you call ahead for wheelchair taxi transport is it always available . . . on time . . . is it convenient? I have read a thousand posts on this site all complaining about the existing system." I assume you agree that current system does not work well . . . how would denying Uber service make the existing system better?

My husband requires a ramp van for transportation. UberWAV is not available in all cities. We have UberAssist here. UberAssist provides a UberX vehicle and a driver who has undergone some additional online education about transporting persons with disabilities. That doesn't work for us so we look for other options that will.

When we travel, I call Yellow Cab, United Cab or whatever wheelchair access cab company I can find for that city and give them my date of arrival, airport, airline, flight number etc. 24 hours in advance. For disabled passengers, most provide a confirmation number. I also give them our phone numbers.

Maybe we've been lucky, but while we're at baggage claim, the taxi driver texts or calls us to let us know he/she is in the taxi line. The person in the taxi booth finds the driver. If the driver is good, we tip well, get their card and cell phone number and use them for the rest of the trip. If there's a problem with the driver, or if we left something behind, there's a phone number printed right on the taxi that we can call rather than have to send an e-mail or a Facebook post and wait for a response.

I haven't had the chance to read the thousand posts on this site complaining about ground transportation but will certainly be open to the views expressed.

I also offer my apologies for misinterpreting your Orlando taxi stand incident as a condemnation of all non-Uber wheelchair taxi transportation.

I would like to start a mobile app in houston to provide transportation for people with disabilities that require a vehicle that can accommodate a manual or power chair. Does anyone have some advice on how I could get started? I am concerned about liability and finding enough drivers to make the whole experience affordable with minimal wait times. I volunteer at TIRR and know there is a huge need for reliable transportation other than Uber, local taxi services or the long Metro wait times. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This website owner might be able to answer your questions regarding liability insurance. When Uber left Austin, a few independent rideshare companies opened shop.
    http://therideshareguy.com/rideshare...s-for-drivers/

Best of luck with your idea. As the spouse of a TIRR alum, I know the ride in can be rough.

I know the original post was in 2015 so a lot has changed and Uber is more available. '

Some dont know that when traveling if you use dial a ride in your home city you can also use it as a guest in traveling city's.

You just need to touch base with the city your going to on registering and booking.

We have Uber Wav in Phoenix and have used it in New York City and love it!

24 hour service when needed plus we have Uber eats!

Last edited by RollPositive; 11-15-2016 at 01:19 PM.

On Demand for our community both in ride service and food delivery is a big help!