Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minivan access

Minivan access

Who knows what years have the widest entry on which minivans through the drivers door???? I transfer in and take my chair apart and pull in. I just rented a 2015 Dodge caravan and it sucks to transfer into and dismantle chair. I don't care how old the minivan is, I just want to find out which one is the easiest with lowest seat to jump in and out of???

Roller

Have a look at the long wheelbase Ford Transit Connect. Lowest minivan seat I've encountered, and you don't have to bother taking the chair apart, just drag it whole though the side door on the driver's side. And it's big and roomy for a 6'3" guy and corresponding size chair

What size is your chair and what level are you? i'm a t-10, have a rigid quickie and have had no problems pulling my chair in to a minivan and leaving it assembled. I have driven a Ford Aerostar and currently have a Kia Sedona and it fits fine.

I have a Toyota Sienna and pull my Tilite rigid right in too. I took the bucket seat out behind the drivers. The front seat is a six way power and lowers down pretty low. I transfer in with ease. I am only 5'6" tall. I then lean the seat back and grab my chair. Its pretty easy. Try one out. They have great electric side doors. The button is right next to the drivers seat too. Top hand rails by each door. Just a thought. I am a T-10 complete like hughes. Best to all.

Thanks guys, I will look into all your suggestions

I checked out a transit connect. Seat was much higher (at least 3 inches) and more difficult to transfer into in comparison to my mazda5.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsquared View Post
    I checked out a transit connect. Seat was much higher (at least 3 inches) and more difficult to transfer into in comparison to my mazda5.
    The connect wont work because of budget. I have a daily driver scion Tc which is so easy to jump in and out of with the super long doors. I'm looking for minivan for under $4000 to tote my handcycle and surfboards around and also for some camping. I love the old Toyota Previa but it lacks the driver side sliding door!
    Cheers,
    roller

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    The connect wont work because of budget. I have a daily driver scion Tc which is so easy to jump in and out of with the super long doors. I'm looking for minivan for under $4000 to tote my handcycle and surfboards around and also for some camping. I love the old Toyota Previa but it lacks the driver side sliding door!
    Cheers,
    roller
    I was actually NOT recommending the Connect, instead my plug was for the Mazda5. You should easily be able to find a higher mileage mazda5 for under $4k. Lowest seat height of any van you'll find. Pretty wide sliding door openings. Just a smaller cargo area than the full size minivans.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsquared View Post
    I was actually NOT recommending the Connect, instead my plug was for the Mazda5. You should easily be able to find a higher mileage mazda5 for under $4k. Lowest seat height of any van you'll find. Pretty wide sliding door openings. Just a smaller cargo area than the full size minivans.
    Yea sorry, the connect was Andy. The Mazda is to short as my surfboards are 9'!
    Thanks,
    roller

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    The Mazda is to short as my surfboards are 9'!
    Gotcha. See if you can find a 99 through 04 Pontiac Montana (or Chevy Venture or Oldsmobile Silhouette). I found those seats to be quite a bit easier to transfer into than the newer honda's and toyota's. Can't speak to the dodge's, never bothered cause my mechanic father in law won't work on them.