Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D deficiency

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Vitamin D deficiency

Others who are deficient too - what have you done to get more vitamin d? My doctor recommended more sun exposure which I'll try to get more of even though I stay out of the sun. What worked best for improving your vit d level?
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

VA has me on 2000 mg a day of D3.......they say most all of us our deficient, I think it helps.....

I also take 2000 mgs of D3 a day and my Vitamin D levels are normal now.

MUltivitamin with high vitamin D and there are supplements. Depending on how low it is and how easily it goes up.
    If really low and doesn't show increase to normal can actually take a high dose per prescription med of 50,000 two to three times a week. Sun?? yeah that is what it says but SCI people can't be in the sun that much and it would take a lot and it makes wrinkles!!.
    I recommend a multivitamin with as much Vitamin D as you can, milk with Vitamin D and a supplement with Vitamin D.
    CWO

Does anyone else have problems taking D3? It really messes my stomach up. I've tried taking smaller doses and working my way up, but it always ends up bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    Does anyone else have problems taking D3? It really messes my stomach up. I've tried taking smaller doses and working my way up, but it always ends up bad.
    Vitamin D is best used in a capsule containing oil because it is a fat soluble vitamin. So you want to buy your supplement in a place with a high and fast turnover of stock or even capsules well under their expiration date can and do go rancid. Keep them in the fridge and take with food if a all possible.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Yes, my son had major issues with taking Vitamin D supplements. Currently, he spends a lot of his time in the sun and takes a multi vitamin. He is due to have blood work done soon so we will see what they say.

Been taking vitamins steadily for 20 years. Best results are to take your supplements and then eat food within 1 minute. The food will end up on top of the vitamins in your stomach and the food will act as a plug on top, thus preventing the belching of bad tasting vapors.

I have a patient who complained about GI upset with high dose vitamin d replacement
    I advised him to check out other preparations like liquid or chewables or gummies
    another good source of vitamin d is salmon that's how the Eskimos get their vitamin d without much sun

pbr
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 06-30-2014 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling

Before you start taking a Vitamin D supplement, get an order from your doctor for a Vitamin D blood test. If you need to take a supplement, you doctor will tell you what he believes is a good target level for you and how much Vitamin D you should be taking. He may even have a preferred brand of supplement that he trusts to be what it says it is.

Davey,
    If you take the supplement on an empty stomach try taking it with a meal. If you take it with other medications or supplements, try taking it by itself. If you take the entire dosage of the supplement at once, try taking smaller amounts at a time with a meal.

All the best,
    GJ