Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D deficiency

Vitamin D drops.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Vitamin D drops.
    I've never seen those down here. I know most of Europe uses them in infants but not here. Anyone in the US seen these either OTC or by prescription?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Available at the Vitamin Shoppe, Walgreens on line and a regional chain in my area has Vit. D drops over the counter in store for both infants and adults.

Depending on what you buy, 1 drop = 100IU, an entire dropper = 5,000IU, for example. Two ounce bottles sell for about $8-$10.

I have no idea what they taste like.

All the best,
    GJ

Or Vitamin D Gumies. I've been chewing on around 3 of those a day, each one is 2000 IU.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Vitamin D drops.
    Yeah, that's what I've been trying lately. Got them at Whole Foods. 1 drop = 1000IU. I mix them with my breakfast usually (cereal/oatmeal/smoothie). They are better than the capsules, but I still have to be very careful. Doctor prescribed me D2 a while back and I didn't have any issues with that. I know D3 is better so I keep trying.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'll check them out. My doctor didn't seem too concerned that my level was low, but my own research tells me my low levels could be causing my creaking bones and pain.
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Thanks GJ. If my next test still is low I'll be looking for something other than capsules but should not need the prescription strength again.

Davey, take a whiff of the drops when you buy them. Rancid oils will smell very nasty not like fish oil. If they are ok then keep them in the fridge.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Google vitamin D deficiency and you will see all the interest and possible conditions they are researching in regards to vitamin D. Obesity, Multiple sclerosis, dementia etc... Definitely know question about bone health and need to keep the bone cells forming. Not sure if anything specific has definitely been linked as cause but still more research and findings to come.
    CWO

I've also heard/read that many conditions that are linked to vitamin D deficiency (such as many patients being deficient, not necessarily some sort of cause) also experience difficulty absorbing vitamin D from the gut and so require higher amounts of supplementation to normalize levels. Not sure if thats an issue with SCI.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

People in the upper parts of the northern hemisphere including the Great Lake states tend to run low because the needed sunlight year round is difficult to get when we need arms and legs covered at least 6 months of the year. In Europe infants are given drops on at least one home visit to boost the immune system and infants of sub-Saharan back ground get twice what white or Asian infants get.

MS is more prevalent in areas further from the Equator and in Caucasian populations. The same people most likely to be deficient. And the US FDA has been working on a new recommended daily allowance as most need more than the current 400IUs in the RDA.