Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doorways in a newly built house

Andy I just had a house built with zero entry from the garage and the front door. They had to just raise the garage floor which wasn't a big deal. The only issue we have is that the land around the house slopes up towards the house. The builder said making the zero entry home would be no problem just need to lower the house more. Well what they actually did was slope the land up and that made the house seem to be up on a hill.
    This made the driveway have a rather large incline. It was something we didn't expect since the land was flat when we bought it. To lessen the slope we sloped the garage floor as well as the driveway. If I would do it again I would not slope the garage floor since I'm constantly battling the slope when working in the garage.

I'm a bit partial to NW Indiana There are a lot of good areas. My parents still live up there, my mom in Crown Point and my dad in Valparaiso. Hey my dad is on the board for the nudist club he lives in if you're interested
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Uhh, I think I'll pass, lol. I'm thinking something like Lowell or Cedar Lake area, gonna take a ride soon down there to get a feel for the area

Lowell is nice if you're wanting in the middle of nowhere I lived there for a little while. And when I was in Crown Point a bunch of us from the barn went to this line dancing bar every Saturday night. DCs Country Junction, it was a lot of fun. You could definitely get set up with some animals in Lowell. I'm actually interested in getting some chickens myself. So. Even near me now has a rooster, and I've seen houses with free range chickens in the yard! Which seems weird for Indy. I'm hoping to find a place where I can have chickens for eggs, I need to look into city regulations and what areas you can have them here.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Uhh, I think I'll pass, lol. I'm thinking something like Lowell or Cedar Lake area, gonna take a ride soon down there to get a feel for the area

Good, then we can finally race in a Country road out there. You do want to see what your old SS can do to the new Mopar right?
    You should make time to swing by my place afterwards. My Dad is a contractor, we can help you out at what to pay attention for when the builder is being an asshole and trying to include absolutely senseless items at nothing but profitable costs to him.

Yeah, stopping by does sound like an idea for sure. I'm thinking some day next week, I'm off for 2 weeks now, no definite day yet, just whenever I feel like going for a cruise. I'll get a hold of you when I figure out when

The words you want to see on any undeveloped land for septic and wells are "perc tested". Then you want to talk to the local water board or whatever it is called there to make sure local wells actually test within EPA standards for human consumption and how deep you need and are allowed to drill. Think of everything from Gary that went everywhere but into Lake Michigan.

No slab covenants make sense out here. They are trying to avoid certain manufactured homes that are no better than trailers when tornados hit. And I would not want to be on an unheated slab after last winter. It hits -40F and things buckle.

Any land currently zoned agricultural or residential bordering a farm with a decrepit house on it will run between $8-12K an acre. Yea, farm land is expensive stuff to sit on. Oh, and check the hours on local entertainment establishments. There are still areas that close up at 6pm Saturday including liquor stores that do not reopen until Monday.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

If end up needing well you may want to somehow "test" quality of water, even if it passed all tests. My water has tons of shit in it. Ends up clogging spout tip. On top of that, the shit smells so bad, it actually nearly does smell like shit. I will never drink water from the faucet. As for doorway threshold. make sure wheelchair will fit through every door opening including once the door is hanging. Make sure you can move wheelchair however needed in a powder room bathroom. Any kind of surface change between rooms, you will need to determine what is best there.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Yeah, stopping by does sound like an idea for sure. I'm thinking some day next week, I'm off for 2 weeks now, no definite day yet, just whenever I feel like going for a cruise. I'll get a hold of you when I figure out when
    Ok, well actually I'm at RIC..... patient now. I go home Thursday, July 3rd. Still dealing with all the bullshit I was since last year. Northwestern Hospital did a great gesture of infecting me with the MRSA virus during surgery, sons of bitches!! Feel free to swing by one day if your bored. Lol.... If not, I will probably see you once I get home.

Sue, thanks for the tips on W/S. I guess maybe just biting the bullet and moving closer in might be the best bet. Kind of doubles the price for the same sized lot though. Or not move there at all, lol. I need to figure out what really to do after work goes poof. Stick close enough around to babysit income property...or just cash out and move to like Texas or something. And when will this actually start...who knows? I've been thinking work would have shut us down like 5 years ago, but I guess for god knows why they still pay us, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    Ok, well actually I'm at RIC..... patient now. I go home Thursday, July 3rd. Still dealing with all the bullshit I was since last year. Northwestern Hospital did a great gesture of infecting me with the MRSA virus during surgery, sons of bitches!! Feel free to swing by one day if your bored. Lol.... If not, I will probably see you once I get home.
    I'm wondering if there is a way to sue those clowns, I mean seriously, that shit has been going on for a year now. Hey, I might stumble by maybe. They still mixing SCI with geriatrics?