Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Doorways in a newly built house

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Sue, thanks for the tips on W/S. I guess maybe just biting the bullet and moving closer in might be the best bet. Kind of doubles the price for the same sized lot though. Or not move there at all, lol. I need to figure out what really to do after work goes poof. Stick close enough around to babysit income property...or just cash out and move to like Texas or something. And when will this actually start...who knows? I've been thinking work would have shut us down like 5 years ago, but I guess for god knows why they still pay us, lol.

I'm wondering if there is a way to sue those clowns, I mean seriously, that shit has been going on for a year now. Hey, I might stumble by maybe. They still mixing SCI with geriatrics?
    I'm going to take legal action once I get back home. Hell yeah, they will mix SCI with anything. I'm on floor 9, it's the new layout of the design of the new building being built. Super nice, looks like the Jetson's in here. Lol....

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    I'm going to take legal action once I get back home. Hell yeah, they will mix SCI with anything. I'm on floor 9, it's the new layout of the design of the new building being built. Super nice, looks like the Jetson's in here. Lol....
    Hah, maybe I should stop by to check that out. Hopefully I wont catch something like Ebola going in there, lol. Got your #

Not Texas! LOL My least favorite state. If you want to lower the tax burden head for Florida. Quads are exempt from most property taxes if it is mentioned when buying. No income tax except on "intangibles" like stocks and bonds and I think the first $100K is exempt. Paras get a less generous pass on property taxes. You still can be hit by municipal taxes but that's like HOAs up here. Of course you get what you pay for so lousy public schools, nasty Medicaid if you wind up in a nursing home, etc. But you can get fairly cheap beachfront property in Jacksonville from what I saw on House Hunters tonight. A few blocks away and for less than $300K you have a renovated ranch. Of course you get hurricanes and barfing college students the gators throw back...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Texas not good? I'll keep that in mind. I do like the more 'rustic' mindset of blasting away at trespassers under protection of law there. And Jessie James moved there too. Other than that, I sort of think the heat might be an issue possibly. We'll see...

I took a ride down to a few subdivisions I thought would be interesting. I liked some places, and thought the surveyor had quite the sense of humor in one. Namely...part of the plat for some 10-20 lots being sold was a drainage ditch...as in nearly 1/3 of the land that was being sold. I guess you could do some fishing for ??? during the summer. Or your own private swamp-front? Amazing the range of definitions of 'buildable land' that is out there apparently. Oh yeah, that same place had some interesting lawns 'growing'...apparently fill and sand doesn't make a good soil for plants to grow in...who'da thunk?

It's not just there. Our old place had a strange drain after rainstorms. The driveway would dry on top but water would bubble up at the seam where drive met gutter. Yep, old dry creek bed and that was built in 1972.

Texas gets both very hot and has serious blizzards in places. Many friends in Houston complain about crime since Katrina. And your right to blast away is tempered by needing to learn Spanish.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I was reading about some subdivisions that went bust in 2008...one of them has like a $2K per year added tax in addition to the regular taxes, per misfortunate soul who lives there due to various sewer/water installations that didn't get paid off because the subdivision is only like 15% occupied. I think they were playing fast and loose with the real estate boom/bust in Indiana just a bit.

You know, I'm thinking a more moderate climate...maybe Kentucky. Or Tennessee. Someone I work with has some sort of place in TN, tax is dirt cheap. Optional fire protection I hear also, lol. Maybe somewhere there...just gotta watch out for the meth lab areas

I love goats, but be aware they eat any and everything, garden furniture, potted plants, etc. They have great personalities though, but make sure you get 2, because they are not solitary creatures. Pygmy goats are fun if you don't want a big guy head butting you. Chickens are great too. We had a brood for a while, but the rooster, aka, George Bush, started getting pretty violent whenever I took the eggs, and pecked me so bad I went into anaphylactic shock one time. He really pissed off the neighbours too, so make sure you have a lot of space and hopefully other neighbours with roosters if you get one. Our hens managed just fine without him, and were happy egg layers and a lot of fun following me around the yard.
    Last edited by elarson; 07-02-2014 at 06:07 PM. Reason: add goat info
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).