Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ADI brake parts needed

So why not amend your original request to any length or condition zero camber Tilite axle tube and use it for donor parts?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I'm going to try talking with tilite first and see if they know whether the tube from the initial design took into account a modification by ADI or not. if someone thought ahead and just sent a shorter tube then i'll order the same and use the threaded inserts i have and hope they are not too chewed up when i take them out. that said if it does need to be cut then that's what i'll do. It might actually be an opportunity to try a fix for one of the things that drives me crazy on the current set up.
    -------------------------
    "...the most reliable and useful courage was that which arises from the fair estimation of the encountered peril..." Herman Melville: Moby Dick

I would also be angry about a manufacturer not selling parts for their product after only 4 years and after only 2 years of actual use. Especially because of needing to modify the chair, they really need to make that clear to people when purchasing. With insurance or medicare coverage usually based on 5 years, and in our case it is 7 years, they should support their product for at least that long also. Best of luck, I hope you get it sorted.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

We contacted them a couple of years ago when I was in the process of getting a new chair. There was no way the health system here would fund them, but I was considering getting a set of these brakes anyway. I needed to know whether ADI could set the brakes up in such a way that I would be able to reach and operate them given my elbow contractures which usually necessitate extension handles on brake levers. I was told to ask whoever was supplying the chair. In other words, they refused to answer a technical question on which a sale hung, a question which ONLY they were in a position to answer with authority. The message I got was "sod off, end user, we only talk to dealers". So I spent the brake money on the Spinergies the system also wouldn't fund for me. At least I knew they would work for me! Not impressed. ADI is a company set up by one of us for the benefit of all of us, but it would seem they now have gatekeepers who think it's their job to keep wheelies from pestering the tech guys...even if that costs sales. Not smart. :-|

Sorry, I don't mean to highjack the thread, but what I am hearing is similar to our experience with ADI.

We ordered an ADI CF seat back, seat base and folding side guards at a considerable cost. We are very happy with them, but I felt that for the seat base and folding side guards, we maybe would have been better off doing it ourselves with DragonPlate. I paid an extra $150 for a separate international shipment so that I could make a template for the side guards and sideguard stops, which they provided very little guidance to either us or our supplier about.

I made a template to scale, and provided it, the dimensions and a CAD drawing of the chair, with instructions to contact either us or our supplier with questions. When the seat base and side guards arrived, they had not attached the side guards to the seat base, requiring me to painstakingly measure and drill, and they also did not drill both sets of holes indicated for the side guard stops.

When I inquired about why they had not attached the side guards to the seat base they said "Due to not knowing what type of chair and the back cane and back support angles for the specific char, we cannot know exactly where to mount the side guards to ensure they will match up to the stops on the back canes and not get in the way of the back support."

About the side guard stops they replied "the holes on the template were too blurry and did not match a normal measurement i.e. (1” ,1 1/2” ,2”) common to a chair back post. So I drilled just one hole to let you drill the second hole in the correct location".

I found that really lame. What I really do not understand is why they did not contact us about this in advance. I could have told them both answers very easily. It took an extra month to receive them (they had a delay because raw carbon was on back order), and surely there was enough time to ask questions. I had also sent the CAD drawing with the template, and would have thought they had enough experience of ZRA’s to know what the hole spacing is on the backrest.

They did say that they were "re-evaluating our instruction manuals and website", but I don't really feel they made up for the extra work and costs. They have good products, but their customer service is not very good when a supplier also does not have the information needed. I would consider an ADI seat back again, but there is no way I would go through that with the seat base and side guards again. I feel like I did half of the job we were paying them to do!
    Last edited by elarson; 06-28-2014 at 01:20 PM. Reason: corrected some information
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I think you have been misinformed. I know that ADI has been using the same set up for the past seven years. I am a current ADI brake user and would not own a chair without having them on it. Contact me via email boom.84@live.com, I think I can help you. Chad.

Hey 9000ft, I can help if you like , there's no reason to buy a whole new system and she is incorrect you can just get away with buying the splined inserts only. The type of wheel you have will determine wither or not you need the spline drive. If you want you can email me or call me if you want a price quote , Thanks Nick at Indemedical >>> nick@indemedical.com or 480-704-3870