Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADI brake parts needed

ADI brake parts needed

So just got off the phone with ADI. I'm switching from a 4 degree camber to 0 degree on my ZRA so I need a new camber tube or the spline inserts to do it myself. I originally got this brake system on a new chair 4 years ago but hated the chair so I didn't even use them until about 2 years ago. Even then not consistently so there should be plenty of life left in them. Apparently not. Bottom line is that they told me first that I would have to work through a dealer which is just annoying but not a deal breaker. Then after a conversation with the tech they told me that they were too old and that I would have to get a whole new brake system. No misunderstanding. I was pretty blown away so I re-asked the question many more times to be clear. Given how ridiculously much these cost the first time around and the limited use I got, I am pretty unimpressed. So rather than the cost of a camber tube you possibly think I'm going to drop that much cash on a new system that you likely won't support?

Ok, so that rant ranted, anyone have the parts I need? Perfect cinderella fit would be a 19" 0 degree Tilite camber tube with the spline end. Otherwise if anyone has the plug ends I'll make it work. Seems like I downloaded the do it yourself instructions back when these guys were willing to work directly with the end user. I certainly won't be considering these for my new chair but I can't scrap the whole process now. Thanks. N
    -------------------------
    "...the most reliable and useful courage was that which arises from the fair estimation of the encountered peril..." Herman Melville: Moby Dick

Get with Stephan from Bike-on and just order the correct size tube. I did for one of my chairs, it wasn't much, around 100 or so, and it will fit because you two will be on the same page measurement wise.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Eeek, interesting to know that they don't really support their brakes for long. I really want some because I get a lot of pain and stress to my joints while braking, I've always avoided going fast for that reason but as I'm getting a smart drive I wanted to start going fast....
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Nonoise- I was just hoping they would sell me a set of the threaded inserts and answer a couple questions. Not that complicated. I can get the size of the camber tube by measuring the current one or from the cad drawings. I'll check bike-on. I don't think I've looked at their site before. Thanks for the suggestion.
    "...the most reliable and useful courage was that which arises from the fair estimation of the encountered peril..." Herman Melville: Moby Dick

Lin- It's truly pretty baffling and took me completely by surprise. After she told me I would need to get a whole new system I asked her if there was anywhere else I could buy the inserts and she said she wouldn't know like I was crazy for not just settling on buying a new set. Bottom line is I have had to do a bunch of modifications but they do what I had hoped and allow for controlled descents on steeper hills when I'm out with my sons riding their bikes and down hills in the winter when snow keeps me from getting any pressure on the push rim. With a C6/7 grip a little snow makes some approaches pretty exciting. The theory is good but the practice has me pretty chaffed. They may be exactly what you are looking for just go with the understanding that you will have to work through your DME or dealer for any parts and at some point they apparently just cut you off.

Quote Originally Posted by 9000ft View Post
    Nonoise- I was just hoping they would sell me a set of the threaded inserts and answer a couple questions. Not that complicated. I can get the size of the camber tube by measuring the current one or from the cad drawings. I'll check bike-on. I don't think I've looked at their site before. Thanks for the suggestion.
    The threaded insert does not have the camber. The camber is built into the shiny aluminum part that the insert screws into. We had a discussion about swapping aluminum part out but no one actually said they had done it on a Tilite. It seems to be a factory fitted part, but if you had zero camber ones to try it with, alignment wouldn't be so much of an issue.

Oh now that you mention it, Tilite should be able to get you the right axle tube length from your serial number. They will ask for it anyway. Be sure to emphasize zero camber or you might get a replacement of the original.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I liked the theory also, but I think there is something missing in the execution. We almost went for them, but in the end decided on D's Locks. Granted, they are not variable brakes, but I don't like that we would have had to modify the camber tube to deal with them on different chairs. With our D's Locks we have been able to swap to different chairs without a lot of investment. I'm weary of anything you have to modify the core chair for, which the spline/camber tube with ADI's is necessary. Once ou go there, you are kind of stuck with them.

...The theory is good but the practice has me pretty chaffed. They may be exactly what you are looking for just go with the understanding that you will have to work through your DME or dealer for any parts and at some point they apparently just cut you off.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Ok, so that rant ranted, anyone have the parts I need? Perfect cinderella fit would be a 19" 0 degree Tilite camber tube with the spline end. Otherwise if anyone has the plug ends I'll make it work. Seems like I downloaded the do it yourself instructions back when these guys were willing to work directly with the end user. I certainly won't be considering these for my new chair but I can't scrap the whole process now. Thanks. N
    Does ADI use their own plugs w/ the splines attached?

If this isn't for a new chair and you just need something functional, I'd be tempted to just use the parts you have and find someone local to rig it all together. Jake or someone in town is bound to have some scrap tubing that could be used for a new camber tube. Fitting an insert for the axles shouldn't be too tricky, especially if you're going for 0deg.

If this helps... Tilite camber tube components: http://estore.tilite.com/ecommerce/C...y.aspx?CID=371
    Last edited by -scott-; 06-27-2014 at 11:58 AM.

Yeah Scott, that's the next step. Really all i need is that simple threaded insert. Since when I got the chair it went straight from Tilite to ADI, I really just wanted to know if they had cut down the tube or if the size Tilite provided had accounted for the installation/added width of the brake system. Given it's a pretty mission critical hinge on the chair I was hoping to just get either clean new inserts from them or the whole tube if the original had been cut by them. The last threaded insert I pulled from a camber tube definitely had some worked threads so I was just looking for clean new parts. Between Jake and myself I'm sure we can make it work. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to waste time dealing with what should be a basic process of buying a replacement part. Really it just shouldn't be that complicated.

Makes sense.

The whole manufacturer-dealer relationship can certainly be frustrating. I've encountered similar situation with getting a replacement part for a Jetstream Pro backrest... made by ADI, rebranded by Roho, sold only through dealers... I contacted ADI about it, but ultimately had to go through two middle-men to get the job done.