Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ramp Experience - vent

Quote Originally Posted by lazierdog View Post
    You're a smart guy, why not come up with a sketch on your own and show it to to him? Then the two of you can bat the idea back and forth instead of letting him "design" something for your approval.
    I drew concepts up in Google SketchUp and gave them to him. He redrew them ignoring ADA requirements even after I quoted 2010 ADA paragraph on my drawing.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  69.7 KBName:  Capturea.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  44.2 KB
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Ugh. I don't understand how people just don't get it. I'm very visual, so like with my dad I sent a bunch of photos, some showing the handles exactly where I needed them, other ones of my exact make and model vehicle with red ovals to designate exactly where I needed the handles.

How can someone look at that ramp, READ the ADA requirement, and then go ahead and ignore it?! Jesus. In this situation is like where do you go next, you've already done the "for dummies" version and they're still not getting it...
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Yep . . . thus our venting . . .

My last resort will be to move it after installation if they do it wrong. At least the sizes are right now. He started with a 4' wide landing:

Name:  Captureb.JPG
Views: 118
Size:  45.9 KB

At least I won't get a bill like E did, but the VA will. Believe me, I plan to take pictures to show the VA if they install it wrong.

My wife has already regraded/replanted for it.

Name:  Chas on Front Porch1.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  121.8 KB
    Name:  Ramp Prep1.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  356.3 KB
    Last edited by chasmengr; 06-30-2014 at 01:04 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Some of them aren't as dumb as the look, they just play the part very well. Maybe he's just trying to build the cheapest version to maximize profits. I've had similar issues with contractors. You have to keep a close eye on them, especially during construction. Good luck.

Don't know if this is already a done deal, but I once scoured the Internet and found various examples of outdoor ramps into a variety of home configurations, in addition to books on the subject, with drawings. Hope you don't proceed until it's exactly right.

An additional thought. VA vendors have to provide ramps and other home modifications per VA accessibility standards, which approximate and sometimes exceed those required under the ADA. If you are getting such poor service from a VA vendor, you should get back to the Prosthetics & Sensory Aids (PS&A) department that approved your project and vendor, and file an official complaint. It is not enough just to give input to the contracting official.

(KLD)

Maybe checkout Angie's List.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    He redrew them ignoring ADA requirements even after I quoted 2010 ADA paragraph on my drawing.
    for whatever it's worth, adherence to ADA guidelines isn't required for private homes.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    An additional thought. VA vendors have to provide ramps and other home modifications per VA accessibility standards, which approximate and sometimes exceed those required under the ADA.

is this in writing somewhere?
    Last edited by -scott-; 06-30-2014 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    . . . If you are getting such poor service from a VA vendor, you should get back to the Prosthetics & Sensory Aids (PS&A) department that approved your project and vendor, and file an official complaint. It is not enough just to give input to the contracting official.(KLD)
    I was careless with my wording. The 'contracting official' I talked with is the PS&A person responsible for choosing the vendor who is servicing me.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by Millard View Post
    Maybe checkout Angie's List.

Good luck.
    Vendor is chosen by the VA. I have no control.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>