Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SNOW, how's that work with a manual chair?

Let me get this right.. You have a choice where to move and you're thinking a place where there's snow? Dang, no way for me. Pacific Northwest is about as cold and sometimes snowy as I can tolerate.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    It does snow in Denver some but it melts quickly. Basically, Denver is high desert and only receives from 8 to 15 inches of precipitation a year. The only time it's not sunny is when it is actually raining or snowing. Even in Jan and Feb the average high is about 50 degrees.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Snow sucks. The worst is the wet kind, below 25F or so it isn't as bad. 0F is pretty good actually, but then it's f-in cold out, lol. After the last winter we had, I think you would be out of your mind to move to a snowy area. But if you must, garage and preferably a garage at work also are a big plus. Not sure how you would do it otherwise, but I'm a sissy

From the GWN - ok just as far north as Toronto - the City clears the white stuff fast from areas it is responsible for, (save for Rob Ford's white stuff), but most sidewalks, parking lots, etc., are wet enough to make pushrims slick. And it's freekin' freezing.

Simple it doesn't, nor do electric chairs. Just hope you don't have much, and that there're is good plows for the roads and sidewalks or else your trapped.

Anything is possible.

Where you live and where you work are the two important factors, other locations should be more flexible as to when you need to go there.

- Where I live the sidewalks downtown are usually cleared well, a lot even while it is snowing, unless it is a major snowstorm.

- Driving is the least of your worries (unless the car breaksdown or you slide into the ditch). Other than downtown, not all sidewalks are cleared, or cleared wide enough, or cleared in a timely matter, or are not cleared until after the snow is packed down and it creates a hard, slick, bumpy surface.

- I have not lived in either Detroit or Denver, but I think the snow in Denver does not last. It snows, the sun is out the next day, and the snow melts and is mostly gone in a day or two (anyone from Denver want to chime in??). I think Detroit would be for a masochist considering ALL their problems beyond snow.

- Melting snow creates slush, which is often loaded with salt, wherever you go, you WILL be bringing that in with you, your house, work, business, car etc. This can cause your car to rust out from the INSIDE out. Wheelschairs pick up a LOT of snow, way more than a set of shoes, and I mean WAY more.

- I consider an attached garage almost a must. An attached garage would also allow you to have an 'inside chair' which would not be tracking in a bunch of $h!t and get rid of the necessity of loading and unloading your chair when leaving and arriving at home.

- If you are thinking of using public transportation, see my comments about sidewalks above. Now add to that bus stops and curb cuts and crosswalks. The curb cuts and crosswalks may get cleared once, or even twice, but then the snowplow comes along and fills them with snow again. Oh, and curb cuts are often the lowest point, so that is where melted dirty salt laden snow ends up. Bus stops/shelters, big hit and miss.

- On street parking, don't even think about it.

- Getting snow off of the vehicle, not so hard. Having remote start would be very helpful. Snow brushes with long handles are easy to find.

- Handicapped parking, can be covered with snow or used as snow storage area, also more abuse of these spots in winter.

- How do you handle cold? Do you like temps in the 60's, 70's, or 80's? I would recommend wool long underwear. Cabelas, Lands End, or LL Bean is your best bet.

- Do you have the option to telecommute? Being able to stay at home after a major snowfall could simplify things a lot.

After all that I have said, I have lived in MN a long time and even parked outside in an apartment parking lot for quite a few years. But I have also missed numerous events because of snow.
    Last edited by Joe-MN; 06-26-2014 at 12:30 AM.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Having lived for 35 years in one of the coldest states in the nation the last 12 in a chair. I for one am looking forward to spending my winters in a place where someone asks me what the snowshovel tied to the top of my car is for. As others have said snow and wheelchairs really dont mix well two inches might as well be two feet.

Things are not cleared off automatically and sometimes the streets and sidewalks are clear but the cut-outs in many cases are too narrow for a chair to go through. If you really have to move to snow-filled cimate........I agree with the above.....underground parking in a condo or an attached garage to a house with a ramp in the garage if it is needed to enter the home.

Driving on snow or ice requires the same amount of care as one would if AB. Finding parking for a transfer to your chair could be interesting some days. Afternoon thaw and an overnight refreeze creates big frozen ruts of wonder that are hard to push over.

There is so much to consider it makes me pause to ask if you have ever lived in a cold climate?

Snow is really tough. Even if you can operate the chair well, snow builds on both the rear and front tires. Once that happens, traction really goes down. I weigh 175 and once snow gets on tires it is horrible. And this is using knobby tires. If you have wide front tires, they will act like snow plow. It can be done, but it is tough. You also can even get yourself stuck.

I have a TiLite ZRA also and I am a big fan of snow skiing so I am rolling through snow every winter. It is tricky and using mt bike tires does help with traction. Another factor to keep in mind is it is also hard on the chair specifically the front wheel bearings. I usually ruin a set each winter.