Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SNOW, how's that work with a manual chair?

Quote Originally Posted by Domosoyo View Post
    There is so much to consider it makes me pause to ask if you have ever lived in a cold climate?
    Nope, never. I've only lived in the sunny south, which is why I ask.

Cold doesn't worry me, it's getting about that I'm concerned with. I would be working at a hospital, which I assume most in snowy climates will have a good parking deck that they keep cleared. Sounds like some kind of garage would be pretty much a necessity.

The consensus seems to be snow and a chair is difficult/miserable.... Anybody have a different opinion?

Thanks everyone for helping guide an ignorant southerner, sounds like yall got it rough up north. If I do wind up applying for positions, I would be interviewing in December, so that ought to give me a pretty good taste of whether or not I can hack it.

I couldn't have picked a better winter to stop working - last winter was B-R-U-T-A-L.

They just cut off water to 150,000 residents of Detroit who have filed a complaint with the UN. Might want to avoid that area until the dust settles ... but real estate is cheap right now! Don't depend on government services such as snow removal though .. and they have laid off many government workers including police and fire.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Life in a chair in snow country is difficult, it is not miserable. I wrote what I wrote earlier so you would know what to expect. Especially note my comment about missing events/occasions. I think Denver would be very nice, especially if you like the outdoors. I have even thought (ok, daydreamed) of moving to Detroit, simply because all the problems they have could/can be turned into opportunities if you want to get creative and not follow the conventional path. If you get a job offer in Detroit, get on Google Earth and look where there are houses with neat lawns and where there are not, some great houses at low prices me thinks.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Detroit is having a lot of problems just delivering basic services. If you lived on a nice side street in Detroit and there was a big snow storm you could expect no plowing for a week or so. The main streets would be plowed and opened but side streets would remain one set of rutted tracks allowing only one way driving. If you dug your car out the shoveled space would be immediately occupied by another car as soon as you left. Even downtown you could not expect curb cuts to be shoveled and clear.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Nope, never. I've only lived in the sunny south, which is why I ask.

Cold doesn't worry me, it's getting about that I'm concerned with. I would be working at a hospital, which I assume most in snowy climates will have a good parking deck that they keep cleared. Sounds like some kind of garage would be pretty much a necessity.

The consensus seems to be snow and a chair is difficult/miserable.... Anybody have a different opinion?

Thanks everyone for helping guide an ignorant southerner, sounds like yall got it rough up north. If I do wind up applying for positions, I would be interviewing in December, so that ought to give me a pretty good taste of whether or not I can hack it.
    If you decide on one of the jobs you can always come back here for more help! Yeah, of the two I would have to go with Denver too. They get a lot of snow but the melt time leading to dry sidewalks and roads is much much faster than in Detroit.