Thread: Quickie Xtender question...

Quickie Xtender question...

Will the Quickie Xtenders fit any chair? All of the quickie chairs have a 1/2 axle thread quick release. The chair I want is the Invacare T7A. It also has 1/2 axle size.

One person told me at Sunrise Medical that it would fit (directly).....the other guy said the extenders will only fit their chairs. Any Help?? Thanks.
    INIMITABLE......look it up.

The question might end up being one of axle length unless you can swap axles or get ones that are the correct length.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thank you for your response! I would love to know more from u...or anyone....., as google searches haven't help at all.
    INIMITABLE......look it up.

I doubt it will fit. There is a bracket that has to bolt to the chair. I don't think the T7 has a place for that. Go on the Quickie parts site and look at all the parts for the extender. Would a Smart Drive work for you instead. Or the ZX1?

Or E Motion wheels if you want the wheels specifically. They look much nicer than the xtender since the extender has that battery pack on the back while the emotions have them in the wheels.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Yes absolutely, although you will need to fabricate a bracket - just basically a hole in which to hold the anti-rotate pin in place so the wheels don't rotate around the axel but around the hub where the motor is. Quickie do not even manufacture the wheels - they just hold the North American license for their sale/distribution. The wheels are made by Yamaha, who sell them as the JW2 (can be fitted to any chair), and they also license them to a few other manufacturers, likeDenon, Otto Bock, and Meyra. These are worldwide, barring NA.

If you're not mechanical, buy a 'Quickie' bracket - it'll probably take a minimal amount of modification to fit it to your chair.

Keep in mind that (last year, I think) Yamaha announced an update called JWX2, lighter and more streamlined, with simplified connection and lithium ion battery. I'm not sure about Quickie US, though presumably they will be forced to switch if Yamaha stops making the JW2...

I saw that also Amyk. Here is an article about it: Yamaha's Next-Generation Power-Assist Readies for U.S. Debut

This is a video from February 2014:

This is what is on their website if you can read Japanese: http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/wheelchair/lineup/jwx2/

Last edited by elarson; 06-28-2014 at 04:54 PM. Reason: added video and website
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

This is a video from 2012 with English commentary and subtitles:

Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).