Thread: independent quad exercises

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

independent quad exercises

I know there is an exercise machine that a quad can use independently so can anyone tell me the name and if and how good it works. thanx Bruce

Hi Bruce, its called the UpperTone and I saw one here today for sale
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ystem-for-Sale

Thank you. The one for sale is in WIS so not close. Has anyone used one and is it easy?

I used an Uppertone at Lyndhurst Centre (Toronto Rehab) from 2000 - 2006. Good range of exercises, and the hand grip modifications were typical (tri pin or loops). But adjusting weight (plates) required help. I'm C 5-6, extension only.
    At home, I've used pulleys and a standing frame independently for 14 years, until recently, when the solo transfer into the standing frame became too risky. I can do the entire range of motion resistance exercises on the pulleys that I could do on the Uppertone, plus crossovers, and can change the weight amount myself with a simple pin. 'Rehab' weight range, 0 - 50 lbs. Placed against a wall, it takes up a footprint of about 2' x 4'.
    The standing frame is one with the glider motion. Great for weight bearing, hip movement, shoulder and arm resistance. Not cheap new, but definitely my favourite piece of equipment. (Can read or eat while moving in it too).

I have designed my own program where I get minimal help to get started then can do most of my exercises on my own. In the a.m. I get help putting my feet in my Motomed and putting on my thumb weights then the rest is up to me. I use the power assisted Motomed to pedal my legs for circulation and to keep my joints loose while I do several sets of throwing punches, uppercuts, lateral shoulder raises, forward shoulder raises, shrugs, arm curls and lat shrugs. After 20 minutes I peel the velcro weights off, and get my legs out of the Motomed. Next I head out on my driveway sitting on the up hill slant and stretch my entire body for another 10 minutes or so. I open the garage and pedal my arm cycle for 20 to 30 minutes then move to a theraband post we designed so I can do 500 sitting simulated crunches and chest exercises then I am done.

Some days I will do more and others I will do less but I shoot for 5 days a week and it takes me an hour to an hour and a half and I am done. I used to stand up in long leg braces for an hour a day in a suspension harness my Dad made and I used to do a ton of estim which I may start it again but I haven't yet.
    ^^(A)^^

I have 1 of the first uppertones produced. my unit is highly modified. much thicker cables with all alum pulley wheels. I have broke dam near all the stock welds and had them redone with heavier welds that will never break. added weight stack extender to hold up to 130 pds and of course reinforced those welds. she has been a great piece. use min 4 days a week for 20 plus years.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    I have broke dam near all the stock welds and had them redone with heavier welds that will never break. added weight stack extender to hold up to 130 pds and of course reinforced those welds.
    Metal fatigue on my Easy Stand Glider too. Had to get 6 welds redone.