Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what is your favorite commercial antivirus software?

Kapersky
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

When I used Windows, I usually found that antivirus software caused more problems than they solved. They would tend to let some viruses through anyway, and at the same time would frequently degrade or break other programs on the system. I did find it useful to block all ad sites using a browser extension, which is a common vector for browsing-related ads, and I found Chrome to be a bit safer than IE. But that was years ago, this may not all still be valid.

Now that I have a Mac, I don't need to worry about viruses particularly.

I've been using Symantic.cloud Endpoint Protection after AVG let a bad virus thru that required a system wipe and new install.

nonoise,

May I ask which free antivirus programs you were using?

Quote Originally Posted by Iolas View Post
    nonoise,

May I ask which free antivirus programs you were using?
    Absolutely, SuperAntisypware has been my favorite although probably not a true antivirus. Then I run Defender, but it picks up nothing additional. I used to use Adaware, but gave up long ago because I could not download a clean copy. The latest to corrupt my computer was CCleaner. It took a few hours to remember all the steps to get rid of all of the ad ons that came with the current copy. They have regeneration exceutables hidden all over the place.

It's surprising to me that there is no consensis here for the best, either free or commercial antivirus program. I'm not even sure it after a couple of dozen posts the same one has been mentioned twice.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I haven't touched Adaware in over 8 years or so after all the trouble it gave me as well. When I tried it back then, it seemed to invite/install more garbage than anything else.

I think the one name that has recurred is Malwarebytes which you'll see recommended on many antivirus forums. Download the free copy here. (The free version is what they recommend anyway.)

Before you go the commercial route, could I suggest you give the free route another try? For personal computers, I think there are great free antivirus programs that offer more than adequate protection. Avast and Comodo, to name a few, frequently rate among the highest. I've tried Avast but I've been using Comodo for the last 6 years with no problems at all. I've been using their internet security suite which includes the antivirus program, firewall, and HIPS program (which monitors unwanted, malicious activity in your PC in real-time). I highly recommend it since it can be highly configured by advanced users while the default settings work just as well for novices like myself. Get it here.

As long as your antivirus definitions are always up-to-date, you should be good. It's better than unnecessarily paying for a costly program.

On the other hand, if you keep getting virus attacks, there might be a very malicious virus that's getting around your antivirus programs. I'm not an expert but depending on the situation, only a clean, fresh install of your operating system might be able to remove it. I doubt even a commercial antivirus program will be able to remove it in that case. If possible, sometimes backing up your files, doing a clean install, and immediately setting up a good antivirus program could be all you need--no need to go commercial.

Hope I can help!

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    The latest to corrupt my computer was CCleaner. It took a few hours to remember all the steps to get rid of all of the ad ons that came with the current copy. They have regeneration exceutables hidden all over the place.
    Surprised to hear CCleaner let you down. Has been a big help managing my systems for years. Do you think it's the version that was corrupt or where you downloaded it?

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    Surprised to hear CCleaner let you down. Has been a big help managing my systems for years. Do you think it's the version that was corrupt or where you downloaded it?
    It surprised and disappointed me too. That was a powerful tool that I *used* to use. All I did was to update the copy on my xp computer. All hell broke loose with new programs and icons that kept popping up on my computer. Normal uninstall did not work because as soon as I did, it would notify them and they would replant more. There were six or more programs that had to be killed off before I got back to normal.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thanks Iolas,

I agree that the free ones seem to be as effective as the commercial versions. What concerns me is getting secure clean updates. Twice I’ve gone to update a freebie from a previous install after using it for years only to be hit with a pile of add on crap that reconfigures my setup.

With XP I’ve been able to sleuth out the unwanted files and get on with it. But now my new computer has win 7 which is not so user friendly. It’s not friendly to this user anyway. The control panel programs are nearly non existent except by very diligent searching, and too many files and file paths are hidden by default. Anyway so far I still get pissed off trying to find my way around in 7. So I thought a trusted source commercial tool would work out better on that computer.

But I haven’t bought one ever and may just take your advice. BTW I do have malwarebytes on the xp so I could update it and if it is good to go I could type the web address into the 7 computer.

I use Vipre Antivirus
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3