Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pain and sleep

Phillis, it is best to start very low on valium. Most people do accomadate to valium quickly so it is normally tried last now for spasms which is why I started it. The help with the foot pain is a bennie. More are started on nortriptyline or amitriptyline for the burning pain. I took one dose of amitriptyline in rehab and found out what a bad acid trip is supposed to be like. Most find those drugs help a lot especially at night while few find valium helps their neuropathic pain much. Give the 2 mg dose a try for a few weeks. And remember to lay off anything caffeinated early in the day. Hope it helps.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

My husband experiences the same problem with pain at night. He takes Nortriptyline also and has a prescription for Valium but if he takes the Valium can't wake up to cath. How does he get to where he doesn't need to cath every 4 to 5 hrs?

PBing - how about using a foley catheter with a two liter drainage bag. Then you can hydrate to your heart's content and take the nortript and the valium and sleep uninterrupted for 8-9 hours. Just an idea that I am playing around with. I'm tired of cathing.

PBing - how about using a foley catheter with a two liter drainage bag. Then you can hydrate to your heart's content and take the nortript and the valium and sleep uninterrupted for 8-9 hours. Just an idea that I am playing around with. I'm tired of cathing.

Arndog - worth a try I'm sure. He's tired of it too! I know I'm tired of hearing the alarm go off in the middle of the night (along with the multiple snoozes!) I don't blame him at all, don't think I'd handle it any differently, if I was in his situation. On the weekends when I don't work he'll take the Valium just to get some sleep and I wake up to cath him. We've just gone along with what we were told in rehab.
    Thanks for the suggestion. This site has been a great source of info for us. Best to you