Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: some pleas from a home health aide to patients and their families

some pleas from a home health aide to patients and their families

First of all, please don't ask me to do things that are impossible.

For example "You cannot leave our father alone even for a second."
    Yes I can and I will. If your father needs 24/7 supervision, he needs a nursing home.

Secondly, please don't ask me to break the law.

For example:
    "Scream at him until he takes a bath." Verbal abuse.
    "Even if he doesn't want you to and is pushing you away, get into the shower with him and wash him." Assault.
    "Don't give him the antibiotics the doctor prescribed. Give him a vitamin pill instead." Neglect.
    "If he buys ice cream, take it away and throw it in the garbage." Theft.

Thirdly, please treat me with basic respect and common courtesy. I am not a slave.

A ?thank you? is always nice.

Fourthly, please don?t switch aides on a whim, with an attitude of ?he?s good but someone else might be better, so I?ll just have the agency send someone else?.

This is very inconsiderate and will not help you get better care and I think is a major reason why more good people don?t go into this field.

(If anyone out their would like to comment on my requests, I would like to hear that.)

Have you ever thought of a different line of work? You don't seem to be a fount of positivity about being a caregiver.

Well, let me ask you a question, do you think a lot of people leave well paying careers as let's say mid-level managers, software engineers or attorneys to become home health aides because they love caregiving so much there is nothing else they would rather do?

Or, do you think most aides are doing this work because they have few if any alternatives, particularly in this economy?

Also, by they way, are you saying that a good aide should be happy to break the law when asked to or happy to be treated rudely, just like the slaves in the Old South were supposedly so happy to be in bondage? We should always be smiling and saying "oh yessa massa I gon be a gud nigga". Maybe you should have been born in a different era.
    Last edited by liveinaide; 06-20-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Quit. Move to a less expensive city. Get an education. Find a better job.

I cannot live more than a two hour drive from my three small children, but thanks anyway.

Anyway, is this in fact the consensus among patients and their families: A good home health aide is a happy slave. Anything else is a bad attitude.

Is this correct?

Blog Entries
    Treat an aide with respect and you'll have a better chance at a good working relationship.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Quote Originally Posted by liveinaide View Post
    Anyway, is this in fact the consensus among patients and their families: A good home health aide is a happy slave. Anything else is a bad attitude.

Is this correct?
    No, of course not. No reasonable person would expect you to work miracles or break the law. However, most people in almost any line of work and at all pay grades would expect the person they employ to check their anger and bitterness at the door. Yours screams at us through your writing. All forms of caregiving are difficult jobs and require immense amounts of understanding, empathy, and patience. You are obviously unhappy with what you do. Save yourself and those you care for and find another line of work. Please!

Quote Originally Posted by ala View Post
    No, of course not. No reasonable person would expect you to work miracles or break the law.
    Oh, if only that were true. I'm not making these things up. I'm assuming you aren't an HHA.

Are there any aides on this forum who can comment on this?

You could have just answered, "I don't have other options available to me" instead of being such an ass. It was a simple question. To answer the less offensive one of yours, I am a software engineer and no I wouldn't quit to make probably 30 or 40 times less to take care of people. If I did however I would be intelligent enough not to bitch about it on a forum where the majority of people do of have used caregivers.

Quote Originally Posted by liveinaide View Post
    Well, let me ask you a question, do you think a lot of people leave well paying careers as let's say mid-level managers, software engineers or attorneys to become home health aides because they love caregiving so much there is nothing else they would rather do?

Or, do you think most aides are doing this work because they have few if any alternatives, particularly in this economy?

Also, by they way, are you saying that a good aide should be happy to break the law when asked to or happy to be treated rudely, just like the slaves in the Old South were supposedly so happy to be in bondage? We should always be smiling and saying "oh yessa massa I gon be a gud nigga". Maybe you should have been born in a different era.
    Last edited by t8burst; 06-20-2014 at 08:54 PM. Reason: qoutes for clarity