Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are most home aides recent immigrants?

Are most home aides recent immigrants?

One thing I've been surprised by: in the New York City area, my impression is that only about 10% of HHA's are American born, only 25% speak English fluently and 10% speak no English. I wonder if that's true elsewhere. I've never seen such a high concentration of new immigrants in any profession.

As we know, home health aides are poorly paid and require little training. Therefore, it is an easy job for immigrants to enter, especially because there is a high need for these workers.

Your numbers are certainly exaggerated. However, of course NYC has tons of immigrants so I would expect there to be even more immigrants working as home aides than in many other less cosmopolitan cities.

I'm not sure what point you are going for....

I'm just surprised because there are plenty of American born poor people in the NYC area. I don't notice that everybody working in Walmart for example just got off the boat, and that's a low paying job. So why HHAs??

I don't think my stastics are exaggerated. I was with a patient recently and the nurse visited. As soon as I opened my mouth she said " Thank God! You speak English!"

IMHO you see more immigrants legal and illegal work in the Home Health Care profession because simply it's easy to get into and doesn't require extra education. And because the pay is low most of your " American born " population thinks the job is below them even when they're uneducated ass does nothing but sit on the couch and collect gov't assistance.

Personally and again IMHO I think if you are on the taxpayers dime without a disability that keeps you from working you should be required to work as caregivers or give assistance in some other way.
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

I never had a recent immigrant even apply for one of my PCA positions. We do have a significant number of Hispanic people in this area, so I do not know what the difference might be.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I had several from an agency my first year and many were African. I think caring for the I'll and disabled is seen differently in some cultures than it is here. Latin Americans especially seem rather kind in my experience.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

When I was in hospital a few years back in Toronto, there was only one Canadian-born and she was caucasion. She was the worst - very miserable. Everyone else was SO MUCH BETTER and CARED. Knowledgeable and professional and curious about me.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

A lot of the immigrants are very good, but I'm just surprised more Americans don't do it instead of being cashiers or waitresses, which may not pay any more.

I take it you are not native to NYC.

The stats you share are your impression of a very, very small segment of NYC PA workers. Depending upon the neighborhood in the specific borough in which you work, you may encounter demographics true for only that neighborhood or even workers hired by your own specific agency.

Consider also NYC as a whole is a large area with enormous immigrant populations.

BTW, just because a person has employment at a mass merchandise retailer (WalMart) does not mean that person is suited to work as a PA. By some of your statements about your work and what people request of you (getting sunshine and fresh air seemed odd to you and antiquated as did requests to prepare hot meals for an individual), it would seem you are very new to the HHA field. If you plan to stick with it, snag some education about good health practices.

I think one reason why anyone fluent in English (meaning anyone who can do something else) shuns HHA jobs may be because of the uncertainty and instability of the work. A case can end at any moment for any reason, something not so likely at Walmart or McDonald's.

Well. If a patient says "I don't want to go out" or "don't cook" and his plan of care does not mention those activities and the agency nurse is fine with the patient's preferences in those areas, I don't see any problem.

Frankly, I think your dad is a little bit better off with someone who speaks his language and who will understand what he's saying, than he'll be with someone who just got off the boat from Haiti or Russia and who may cook up or storm or wheel him all over town but will have no idea what the expression "I feel some pressure in my chest, I'm a little nauseous, but I'll be fine in a few minutes" means.