Thread: Stabbing Headache

Stabbing Headache

So I have never had a headache in my life. Last week it started with a slight stabbing on one specific spot. It has gotten worse, 40% of the left side of head is sore to the touch and the stabbing sensation if pretty frequent (goes away 95% with NSAID or Excedrin). Today after being told to by nurse wife to go in I did. Blood fine, did sinus x-ray(was fine) went back to room to consult and Dr. ordered a CT. That was also good, although they seemed concerned at one point (may have been in my head). So I was released and told to follow up if condition persists.

So here I am, stabbing sensation and trying to put out of mind. Being a c6/c7 is there anything that could be causing this below injury area? I have no infection, no sores and no other signs I can think of.

Anyone have an opinion?

They didn't get rid of, or at least reduce the headache before discharging you? I'm really shocked at that. Where did you go, regular Drs office, urgent care, or ER? At this point I would go to the ER personally. I have migraines, and I've only had to go to the ER for one once so I'm not an expert but a close friend of mine has to go to urgent care or the ER frequently for migraines. With mine due to the increased severity and length of time over my usual ones (I went in after 3 days in bed) they did similar with blood work, saline, CT to rule out things, and then gave me medication to break the headache as well as nausea medicine. After I'd had sustained relief for around 30 minutes I think they discharged me.

Can't help about it being related to your SCI, my post is only about headaches themselves.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Skogy, you need to see a neurologist for a second opinion (actually, it would be a first opinion, since you really haven't been given any diagnosis so far). You don't say whether or not the doc you just saw was a neurologist, but either way a good neurologist needs to evaluate your symptoms; then, depending on what he or she says, see another neurologist for a second opinion.

Any number of things could be causing your pain, and the most troublesome ones (aneurysm, for example) should be ruled out ASAP. Pain on this scale really needs to be looked into, the sooner the better. I notice that you live in Minnesota - maybe a trip to Mayo would be possible, if you don't have access to a neurologist close to where you live. Best wishes, hope you can soon find answers and treatment to help you.

Edited to add: If you experience a "thunderclap" headache (excruciating pain that comes on very suddenly), go to the ER immediately and don't leave without having a neurological consultation.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Did you have any other symptoms of autonomic dysreflexia? What was your blood pressure? If your blood pressure was not markedly elevated (at 40 mm Hg over your usual systolic BP) then you probably were not having AD, but certainly can still be subject to other causes of headache such as migrane, cluster headaches, etc. You should see a good neurologist for a headache work-up and diagnosis if that is the case.

(KLD)

It was urgent care at a Mayo satellite clinic/hospital. BP was 120/68. The headache does subside with NSAID but is back in time. The doc said he would give me something for it but the way it went I didn't get anything. Long story for when on computer and not phone. They did call back and say to follow up with primary if not clear upon week. If I am still experiencing symptoms I will head to Mayo after the appointment, it is only an hour away. I do worry a little bit as my mother had a non fatal aneurysm a few months before I broke my neck I'm 93. As I think more I may head back in sooner than later.

I would definitely head back as soon as possible...
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

How's your teeth? Any cavities? Any sensation if you clinch your teeth together? Still got your wisdom teeth?

No cavities, wisdoms gone 25 years ago.

I have not had any NSAID since 10 last nght. My head still sore a little bit but stabbing sensation has pretty much gone away. Every once in a while I get a mild blunt tap to head in spot where stabs were.

I Facebooked a Dr. that I graduated HS with and gave symptome and what doctor did for tests last week. He is leanin toward Trigeminal Neualgia. If it goes away I will keep eye on my self if it gets worse or stays same I will see dr.

Late in replying but-

One sided stabbing headaches are often trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias. Usually misdiagnosed as sinus or dental problems-usually takes about 2-3 years for them to be correctly diagnosed and treated. Pain is so severe they're known as 'suicide headaches'. They don't respond to the usual meds for migraine but partially respond to OTC NSAIDS like Alleve, Advil etc. They can be treated with corticosteroids, indomethacin, various intranasal and subQ medications.

hope this helps

My frequent one sided stabbing headaches were diagnosed as occipital neuralgia, I haven't had any since an occipital nerve block. Any type of movement would severely increase the pain.